Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msn Nanny

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 suzeybq

suzeybq

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:08 PM

Is there a program that I can install on my system, so that I can tell who my daughter is chatting with on msn and what they are chatting about??? I have heard of such a thing, where the program emails you with the conversation so that you can keep tabs on your child.
Does anyone know what it is called??? Or where I could even find such a critter???
Thanks
S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:41 PM

There are plenty of softwares that can do that.

do a search for:
key logging software
key loggers
spy software
internet spy software

That should get you going. I've downloaded a few of them, but I've never gotten around to using them, probably because I'm the only one on my computers.

If your daughter is a minor, I'd suggest you threatening her that you have software installed on the computer that will tell you every-single keystroke she makes, and tell her that you'll soon know exactly who she's talking to, and what they're saying back to her. If you're firm enough with her, she'll more than likely believe you and try to take a different approach. I, personally, would warn her first,, and let her decide her own fate of using the computer again or not.

There are a mound of different softwares out there that can monitor her actions, but as far as stopping her, that's totally up to you to do.

Be firm.. if you suspect she's talking to a grown man,,, have her get his phone no#,, then YOU call,,, and you'll be able to take it from there. If it's a grown man, he'll give up the phone no#, or he'll lie, ,, probably because he's married or something. But either way it goes, if you suspect your daughter doing such online,,, simply revoke her privileges on the computer.

Last, but NOT least....... uninstall all of the chat programs on the computer and change the computer privileges so she can't install anything on it.

But, all in all, you need to change her access on that computer, and limit what she can run and can't run on the computer.

#3 Luke_Phx

Luke_Phx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:04 PM

I have used several... I like Cybersitter the best because it sends me an email every day that includes the entire chat sessions for all major chats, all pages visited and those that were blocked, etc. I can shut down chat, or internet, etc. and there are 36 topic filters for blocking or warning so you can, say give access to Sex edcuation stuff but not adult explicit topics, etc.

And, even if someone has or somehow manages to get admin rights on the computer, the admin feature of Cybersitter is unique to the program.

Kids can manage to get access... I gave my 15 year old admin authority in WinXP Pro. He tried to create an ID that would let him on the internet during the day when no one was home or exempt from the restrictions but, he did not have access to the admin panel for CyberSitter so he still could not add the new ID to the exempt list (selected users in the exempt list...). But, what he did do was to change an adult ID password (friend that rarely useshis id on that laptop). But the chat sessions and the pages visited were still stored in the log and emailed to me so I knew immediately the kid was logging on and using the ID since friend had not used the laptop in a month.

I also used ContentProctect at one point which is very nice too... but you have to go to the website to look at the info on chats, etc. Its a really nice interface and its nice feature is that can have "user ids" so each person has their own individual setting.

Cyberpatrol is another option...

I still like Cybersitter since I get the email daily and can breeze through the log. Kids didn't know their actual chats were being recorded... son had done some dangerous things on the internet including putting his real telephone number out there and a 28 year old man was trying to convince him to give him his address so the guy could come over from Cali and wait until adults were not home....

So if you think you DONT need a monitoring program, think again! :thumbsup:

#4 suzeybq

suzeybq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:13 PM

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
I think I will look into Cybersitter later on when minor eyes aren't watching. :thumbsup:

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:52 AM

I have been using a program for several years. I started because it will lock down 98 and ME. It is very secure and very configurable. The newer versions are only Shareware. The older version I use is still freeware. iProtectYou
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:10 PM

you could also just look at the msn messenger logs.under preferences it ask if you want to log conversations,just change hers to yes.

Edited by acidburned, 08 December 2006 - 03:10 PM.

#7 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:33 PM

I use Safe Eyes. Its cheap and you get it for life.

www.safeeyes.com
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#8 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:31 PM

Hi Suze,

I was amazed to find the amount of history the google toolbar kept. If you don't have it installed on the machine she is using, just type google in your address bar and go. Then click the down arrow and see if there is history in there. Also, the new 'in' place is "myspace". Not sure of the address, but again, just type it into your browser address bar (or google bar) and see if you find history. Follow each link. I found an amazing amount of info there. You are a good Mom. :thumbsup: If you do find something, I would make notes of all the e-mail addresses, as well as her handle, and cyber-follow her for a little while to see how serious the situation might be. she might only be playing around and being as safe there as she would be anywhere else, the way you taught her. Surprisingly, teens with good parental relationships do hear us. (ha, I can say that now 'cause mine are over 21 now and had no major trouble). But the cyber world is indeed a dangerous place. Best wishes and good luck.

PS: Would someone tell me a good free firewall to use on my 98 machine? I lost everything in my last destructive reinstall on my XP. Even my backup dvd got hosed. That's for another topic, though. Thanks bunches.

"joygreen"
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:54 PM

Sygate is probably your best bet.
Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6.2808 (9 MB)

http://www.oldapps.com/old_version_sygate_firewall.php
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:02 PM

Thank you, Buddy. :flowers:

Check out this .gif My favorite:

:thumbsup:
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

0 user(s) are reading this topic