Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Udgrading My Laptop

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 peteyg67

peteyg67

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:14 PM

Rite ive got an acer aspire 3613 i want to upgrade it even though its only like 4 months old, I got it as a suprise from my parents and of course i did not have any choice in da specs of it. They picked 1 dat would be best for school work but i want it for games dvds and downloading!!! I have contacted acer on avilable upgrade, I am unable to update my Cpu or graphics card but am able to upgrade ram. Currently i have A 512mb ddr2 but i would like to upgrade to 2gb ddr2 So if any body has any reccomanations please reply and thanks I have about 1000 quid to spend for christmas i nw its alot but i also want to get a large externl harddrive so ant recconmanadions please feel free to comment and any other updrades u think would help!!!!

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:05 AM

Please define Quid? PST/USD? If it is PST you are almost better of buying a new one. the question is whether yur motherboard can take it yes or no.
TGhe best optioon wuld be to contact your local Acer office.Here you have access to their globbal website

#3 peteyg67

peteyg67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:03 AM

Its pound, I now i would be better of buying a new 1 but my dad is very stubberen and wouldnt let me cause it nearly new cause he would think why would i need it. I have been talking to other people including acer and the say it s possible to updrade my ram and nothing else, And dat 1000 pound isnt just for upgrades its for other things such as external harddrive from 500gb-1tb and few other things i would like

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...ubCategory=381 this is compatible in my laptop and pretty cheap

Heres wat a mate of mine said
http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/9010.htm

According to that website (different laptop, but same chipset), it can have DDR2 RAM, so he could probably go for PC5400 (667MHz) memory, and that could probably give him a boost if you filled all the DIMM slots

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:31 AM

I don't kn ow for sure but aren't you stuck with Dell in order to maintain guarantee??

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:39 AM

Not sure what the exchange rate is for USD vs sterling. Here is a 500Gb external drive 500Mb External Drive
According to your specs you posted both of your memory slots a full. That means you will need to buy two new memory modules. Sense you will not be able to take full advantage of 2 Gb of memory I would only install 2-512Mb RAM module. I say that because your computer is limited and I believe 1 Gb will be plenty. IMO
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 peteyg67

peteyg67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:55 PM

I don't kn ow for sure but aren't you stuck with Dell in order to maintain guarantee??

My computers not dell its an acer

Edited by peteyg67, 08 December 2006 - 12:56 PM.

#7 peteyg67

peteyg67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:58 PM

Not sure what the exchange rate is for USD vs sterling. Here is a 500Gb external drive 500Mb External Drive
According to your specs you posted both of your memory slots a full. That means you will need to buy two new memory modules. Sense you will not be able to take full advantage of 2 Gb of memory I would only install 2-512Mb RAM module. I say that because your computer is limited and I believe 1 Gb will be plenty. IMO

Currently my coputer has 2 slots 1 is taken by my current ram 512M ddr2 and 1 free so i could just buy 1 512mb stick or 1gb stick any recommandaions for a good 1

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:02 PM

I was going by the report you posted. It currently shows only 2 slots with 256Mb pr slot. I am sorry if I was mistaken. It real does not matter. I would increase to 1 Gb whether it is 1 additional 512Mb, or 2-512Mb RAM modules replacing what is shown in the report you listed. I believe it will be money well spent.
If you have a router at home I would recommend a external hard drive that has an ethernet port, alone side the USB port. This will allow you to use it on your LAN when you are at home.
I hope I have been of some help.

[ Memory Devices / DIMM_A ]

Memory Device Properties:
Form Factor DIMM
Type Detail Synchronous
Size 256 MB
Speed 533 MHz
Total Width 64-bit
Data Width 64-bit
Device Locator DIMM_A
Manufacturer AD00000000000000
Serial Number 04008222

[ Memory Devices / DIMM_B ]

Form Factor DIMM
Type Detail Synchronous
Size 256 MB
Speed 533 MHz
Total Width 64-bit
Data Width 64-bit
Device Locator DIMM_B
Serial Number 02002224

Link to report

#9 peteyg67

peteyg67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:23 PM

I was going by the report you posted. It currently shows only 2 slots with 256Mb pr slot. I am sorry if I was mistaken. It real does not matter. I would increase to 1 Gb whether it is 1 additional 512Mb, or 2-512Mb RAM modules replacing what is shown in the report you listed. I believe it will be money well spent.
If you have a router at home I would recommend a external hard drive that has an ethernet port, alone side the USB port. This will allow you to use it on your LAN when you are at home.
I hope I have been of some help.

[ Memory Devices / DIMM_A ]

Form Factor DIMM
Type Detail Synchronous
Size 256 MB
Speed 533 MHz
Total Width 64-bit
Data Width 64-bit
Device Locator DIMM_A
Serial Number 04008222

[ Memory Devices / DIMM_B ]

Form Factor DIMM
Type Detail Synchronous
Size 256 MB
Speed 533 MHz
Total Width 64-bit
Data Width 64-bit
Device Locator DIMM_B
Serial Number 02002224

Link to report

Yea u have i really need a external harddrive cause im slowing down my lap with that much stuff, I see wat ur saying and i nw that it will help could u post some links to good ones also were did u find that report

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:04 PM

Heres wat a mate of mine said
http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/9010.htm

According to that website (different laptop, but same chipset), it can have DDR2 RAM, so he could probably go for PC5400 (667MHz) memory, and that could probably give him a boost if you filled all the DIMM slots

It was in your second post.

#11 peteyg67

peteyg67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:48 AM

ohh rite dats not the same computer its just got the same chipest but its similar

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:23 AM

If you would like to product the same report to clearly see what your system does and does not have the program, Everest v1.51, is easy to use. There are several versions, including versions 2.02 & 2.2, but version Everest v1.51 has the most features.
There is several programs that retrieves similar information. Belarc, and SIW. Take a look at these utilities take come wit windows.
Start> Run> MSinfo32
Start> Run> dxdiag
While not as complete as the other three it still has useful information.

Oh and by the way I would go with adding one 512Mb module. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users