Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lap Top Check Up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Bailey

Ken Bailey

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:45 PM

I am not very worldly when it comes to computers. I have an HP Pavillion dv4269us. It seems to be getting slower. Is there a good checkup I can run to identify possible problems?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:04 PM

99.9% of the slow performance issues I have seen are caused by software. Removing programs from the startup group stops them from loading and running in the background unseen when you turn the computer on. these usually have icons in the taskbar down by your clock.

2 (or more!) firewalls and antivirus suites on your system will also do it, not to mention "malware"; spyware, viruses, etc.

try this: create a new user profile on your system and see if that's faster. you won't lose any of your data, and you can delete the profile if it doesn't help.

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:18 PM

There are few more issues which could be at hand. You could do the following :

Download CCleaner here and install and update do not run

Go to My Computer
Right click on your hard drive where the operating system is on
Properties
Extra
Click on check volume for errors
Tick the two open boxes
It will tell you that it will check your harddisk during next reboot.

After that go START RUN and type cleanmgr
This will clean up your HDD

Open Ccleaner clixk on options advanced and tick the box saying prompt for registry back up
After that click on cleaner and analyze. It will delete all necessary files

After this run click on problems and select anything to do with registry and click analyze
You will be prompted for backup of your registry which as a default will be stored inMy Documents

Do you have Anti Spyware software? Download Adaware and Spybot ( see my sgnature)
update and run.

Do you have antivirus software? Run that also. Hope you don't have more bthan one active which also can cause slower systems

Reboot and take a coffee :thumbsup:

Please post the result overhere

Run the programs on a weekly basis

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:25 PM

As the other have said - the majority of these problems are caused by additional clutter building up on your system as time goes on.

Another "hedge" to this would be to upgrade your RAM. If you only have 256 mB - then 512 mb (total) would generally show you a dramatic increase in performance. If you have 512 mB, then 1 gB would show improvement also (but not to the degree that the 256 to 512 jump would) - but it would benefit you in the long run since this accumulation wouldn't affect your system as much.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users