Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Email was hacked

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nuttymom

nuttymom

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 27 December 2004 - 05:35 PM

Hi, thanks for the help. My ex-hubby just handed me two printed copies of emails that I sent to a friend from my yahoo and earthlink mail boxes.

How can I make sure he will not read my emails again (he is not a pc pro and he did NOT have a clue re: my passwords)?

Also, how can I return the favor and check his email? Now that he has been reading my mail, I fear he might want to start another custody battle.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 27 December 2004 - 10:23 PM

Hi Nuttymom, welcome to Bleeping Computer.
Sorry it is under such circumstances, though.

I had Earthlink a few years ago and I'm not sure if it's the same now or not. But, once you connect to the internet, ANYONE and EVERYONE can read email. That's crazy. STOP USING EARTHLINK EMAIL.

Yahoo is not the safest or most secure of the free email accounts available. Go to hotmail and create a brand new account. Create a password that nobody could ever guess in a million years...something totally off the wall. For example, 'plane22' or 'fall49'. Just be sure you can remember it and use both letters and numbers. Also, it is vital that you set your preferences so that you must ALWAYS sign in and give your password. That way, nobody can gain access to even your account name. Even if you have a hotmail account right now, make a brand new one and let your closest friends know.

At the top of this page, you will see "Search", "Favorites", etc... On the right of "Media", you'll see History. It records each and every page you visit and it saves it by the day and week, etc...
Under Tools (at the very top of this page) and Internet Options, under the General tab, near the bottom, you'll see History. Click the button "Clear History" before you go offline EVERYTIME you are online. Just know that your Address bar/scroll bar will have NO addresses there so you'll have to type out where you want to go each time, etc...

Seriously, STOP USING EARTHLINK AND YAHOO EMAIL, PLEASE. He gained access to your personal emails because they both fail miserably in the secure and safe categories, as you unfortunately found out.

Hope I was able to offer help.
Good Luck.

~67~

#3 nuttymom

nuttymom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 28 December 2004 - 05:34 PM

Thank you sooooo much for the fast reply and for the help!!!

I am following your email to the letter.

Thanks again!!!

#4 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 28 December 2004 - 05:37 PM

You are so very welcome, nuttymom. Hope everything works out for you. Don't hesitate to ask any further questions.

~67~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users