Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijackthis

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 drosophila

drosophila

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:44 PM

Hi, All
I am new to here, and I despratley need to some help. i am trying to using hijack t fix some spyware on my PC. I downloaded the Hijackthis from the link in tutorials section. but there is no .exe flies there, and the file i downloaded didn't start up at all. Does anybody have any idea what happened ? and how can I get a functional hijack this to work.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:54 PM

Hello drosophila

i am trying to using hijack t fix some spyware on my PC...

Are you trained in the use and investigation of the entries listed in the log this program generates? Most of the log entries are required to run a computer and removing essential ones can potentially cause serious damage to your system. HijackThis is an enumerator and similar in some respects to a registry editor program which displays areas of the Windows registry where the majority of malware reside. Hijackthis will scan certain areas of your system and then create a log to help diagnose the presence of undetected malware in these known hiding places. It then relies on experts to interpret the log entries and determine what needs to be fixed.

And just because you "fixed" something with HJT, that does not mean you have a clean system. The "Fix" button in HJT does NOT remove the malware but rather it removes the associated registry entry. There are specific files and folders which must be deleted afterwards. Futher, removing entries in HJT before the problem is properly identified can make the malware undetectable to other detection and removal tools. Full system scanning tools like Ad-aware, Spybot S&D and SpySweeper will remove the registry entries as well as the related files which results in a more complete removal process. HJT this should only be used to clean up the entries left behind, after you have properly removed the malware. If you do not have advanced knowledge about computers you should NOT fix anything using HijackThis without consulting a expert as to what to fix.

With that said what type of malware do you have on your system? What OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? What type of anti-virus are you using and when was the last time you ran a scan? Have you performed any anti-spyware scans? Have your tried doing your scans in "SAFE MODE"?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users