Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Homeedition Help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 revenge(LW)

revenge(LW)

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 01:36 PM

Basically when I turn on my computer instead of loading Windows it goes to an options screen where I have to choose between safemode, safemode with network blabla... When I choose one of the options it shows the windows loading screen for a sicond then it restarts and goes back to the same option screen. Can somone help me here please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:18 PM

Have you changed or added any hardware or programs lately? What anti-virus program do you run and has it detected any problems recently and "fixed" them?
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:39 PM

If the system won't boot to even Safe Mode, then you've got problems, but there are a lot of things you can try.
First, Safe Mode will load most things except most of the drivers and peripherals, including most services. I would disconnect the printer, camera, external hard drive, phone cradle, Ipod, modem, USB hub... everything external but keyboard, mouse and monitor.

If it still won't boot to Safe Mode, you need to boot to the operating system CD and run the recovery console ('Repair' option) instead of a full reinstall. when you see the c:\ , type chkdsk /r , press enter, and go get a six pack and pizza. you'll be sitting there for a while. This command will repair/replace your boot files so you can get back into Windows.

If you CAN boot to safe mode, and not the others, software's your issue and it can be fixed. kill the startup group via start>run>msconfig, select the startup tab, disable all, select the services tab, check "hide all Microsoft Services" and disable all the others, apply, close and restart normally you should be able to boot then. From there it gets tricky...

Let me know how your system behaves..

~Lazarus

#4 revenge(LW)

revenge(LW)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:25 AM

Here is the big problem Lazarus Long, I don't have a recovery disk. I tried your other advice by disconnecting all external hardware but didn't work. Can you tell me what I can possibly do to full-reinstall please, I really don't mind if my personal files are lost at the moment I just want the computer to come out of the garage. Thanks in advance.

Terrorist I havn't added any hardware programs and I can't get on Windows so I don't know about softwares.

Edited by revenge(LW), 08 December 2006 - 02:28 AM.

#5 revenge(LW)

revenge(LW)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:15 PM

bumb
somone help please..

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:50 AM

There's not much help available if you can't get into Windows and you don't have a recovery disk. If this is a system made by a major manufacturer, they will send you recovery disks for a small fee (about $15 for Compaq and HP).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 revenge(LW)

revenge(LW)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:26 AM

What about IBM, would they send a recovery disk?
what if I buy a Windows XP home from shop would that help or would it be a waste of money?, I realy don't want to throw it away.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:47 AM

Call IBM at this number ( http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...cid=MIGR-4HWSE3 ) and request the recovery CD/DVD from them. I have no clue about the cost or your eligibility.

An XPHome CD (the full, retail version - not the upgrade) will work also - but it's probably more expensive than the recovery CD's. An Upgrade CD might work, depending on exactly what you have to do.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 revenge(LW)

revenge(LW)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:14 AM

Thanks man this saved me a computer, you the best lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users