Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shopaholic

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:02 AM

In October, The Washington Post reported the growing movement among psychiatrists to call compulsive buying a separate, identifiable disorder and recounted this 62-year-old "shopaholic's" therapeutic conversation with herself: "I would say (to the jewelry she felt compelled to buy), 'You are so beautiful, I can't live without you, I love the way you sparkle.' The jewelry would say back, 'You need me. You look pretty when you wear me.' I would say, 'I do need you. I can't possibly think of being without you. But something has to change. I need to stop this. I can't afford a penny more.'" The patient said she eventually came to believe that her compulsion stemmed from her relationship with her mother. [Washington Post, 10-13-06]

Just thought this was funny!! :thumbsup:
Enjoy your Christmas shopping, and try not to get carried away!! :flowers: :trumpet:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:03 PM

You know,
I have a conversation very simalar to that evey time I pass a golf course! Now I know I can blame it me ma, since she doesn't golf..... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:56 PM

You know,
I have a conversation very simalar to that evey time I pass a golf course! Now I know I can blame it me ma, since she doesn't golf..... :trumpet:

:thumbsup: :flowers:
Parents are the root of it all aren't they! :inlove:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:35 PM

I considered that hilareous. Posted Image During this season it is allways funny to see couples standing infront of a shop having discussions similar as those. When 2 males are shopping together ( if ever!!) life is very easyPosted Image

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:14 AM

In October, The Washington Post reported the growing movement among psychiatrists to call compulsive buying a separate, identifiable disorder and recounted this 62-year-old "shopaholic's" therapeutic conversation with herself: "I would say (to the jewelry she felt compelled to buy), 'You are so beautiful, I can't live without you, I love the way you sparkle.' The jewelry would say back, 'You need me. You look pretty when you wear me.' I would say, 'I do need you. I can't possibly think of being without you. But something has to change. I need to stop this. I can't afford a penny more.'" The patient said she eventually came to believe that her compulsion stemmed from her relationship with her mother. [Washington Post, 10-13-06]

Shopaholic Psychological Disorder seems to be suffered by many more Women than Men.IMHO. :thumbsup:

#6 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:04 AM

Shopaholic Psychological Disorder seems to be suffered by many more Women than Men.IMHO. :trumpet:

True :flowers:
I despise shopping...not the buying of things, but fighting your way through the mall. No matter what the season, malls are always crowded.
I always say I'll never go to the mall unless I have an automatic weapon of some sort!!! :thumbsup:
I'd rather shop online anyway :inlove:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:10 AM

Got more crazy shopping stories...
1995 -- In January in Lafayette, Ind., Ben Orndorff, age 7, helped his 21-year-old cousin deliver her baby because everyone else in the family happened to be out shopping when the woman went into labor.

1995 -- In September, police in Gadsden, Ala., were able to arrest Bobby Joe Dedeaux and Anitra Freeman and charge them with bank robbery because the two had relaxed their getaway by stopping at a nearby strip mall for a haircut and a little shopping.

:trumpet: :inlove:

guess they just can't help themselves... :thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by tink536, 08 December 2006 - 10:19 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:40 AM

I also hate crowded shopping malls. Only frequent them because everything is under one roof.
I honestly can't get out of the malls quick enough. Another problem I have sometimes,is I can't remember
which level I parked my car on. :thumbsup:

DSTM.

Edited by DSTM, 08 December 2006 - 10:59 AM.

#9 ghostwriter

ghostwriter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:25 AM

I hear you DSTM & Tink536.
You hear some women say "its so relaxing" etc. What the??! Fighting for a car space, remembering where you parked, children screaming, trolleys and prams bumping into you, people jostling, long que's, hours spent in there walking from one ende to the other/up and down the esculators and then you finally walk out of there and what have you got to show for it all??? (If your anything like me) Absolutely nothing! :flowers:

Except for the annoyance of knowing that you have to return another day and do the same thing all over again... :thumbsup:

Today, 3 hrs of torture doing xmas shopping! But at least I got some things to show for it.

I think that you would find that the majority of women don't find it pleasurable at all, more like a chore that has to be done.
What you do in life does matter……Each choice and action you make has
consequences, good or bad. Which path will you take?

#10 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:25 AM

I hate "just shopping", my wife and I go as early in the morning as we can to avoid the rush of people. I don't mind going to the mall, I know what I want or have in mind and if it's there, I get it, if not, I leave. Most all of my Christmas shopping was done on the net. Only 2 more things to show up, this week, and it's done! :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:32 AM

I hear you DSTM & Tink536.
You hear some women say "its so relaxing" etc. What the??! Fighting for a car space, remembering where you parked, children screaming, trolleys and prams bumping into you, people jostling, long que's, hours spent in there walking from one ende to the other/up and down the esculators and then you finally walk out of there and what have you got to show for it all??? (If your anything like me) Absolutely nothing! :thumbsup:

I think that you would find that the majority of women don't find it pleasurable at all, more like a chore that has to be done.

My opinion is that the only shopping most women don't find pleasurable is grocery shopping at the local food supermarket, and lets be honest,who does.
All other types of shopping,it's "bring it on" After all, tell me what woman doesn't like trying on new season clothes,shoes,perfumes etc etc etc.We have family and friends around quite often,and as soon as someone mentions a day out at the mall,you should see the excitement on their faces.None of them had anything planned for that day anyway,Yeah Right.This is a real adrenalin rush for most women,IMHO.If it's housework or the mall,I'm pretty sure of the answer.
Personally, I think malls are mainly geared for women,and there's not much there that interests me, anyway.
If women use any excuse whatsoever to go shopping all the time,and spend more than they can really afford,then in my opinion they are well on the way to becoming a Shopaholic.

Edited by DSTM, 09 December 2006 - 05:45 AM.

#12 ghostwriter

ghostwriter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:11 AM

Hmmmm.....maybe I should be in the Guiness book of world records? I must be the only female who loathes 'SHOPPING". Grocery, clothes and....drum roll please - especially shoes!!!

Hey Tink, I really can blame my mother! She hates shopping too! :thumbsup:

#13 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:25 AM

Hmmmm.....maybe I should be in the Guiness book of world records? I must be the only female who loathes 'SHOPPING". Grocery, clothes and....drum roll please - especially shoes!!!

Hey Tink, I really can blame my mother! She hates shopping too! :inlove:

I guess we'd have to share the title! :thumbsup:
I only buy things I need and never with any pleasure. I can't stand the trying on of things it really gets me po'd. Why can't everything that has the same numbered size actually be the same size??? :)

I totally agree with you on the shoes, I only wear slippers (flip-flops)...easy on, easy off and my feet never hurt after walking around with them all day! B)

I can blame my mother as well...she's a total shopaholic, which is probably why I hate it soo much!! :flowers:

It seems around the holidays that no one is working anymore, they're just all at the mall :cool: :)
Go figure! :trumpet:

The one thing I will never understand is why some (or most, who knows) women can spend hours upon hours at the mall and leave with only a few things. If I have to spend all day at the mall, after which I'd probably have to be committed, I'd have bought everything bleeping thing I needed so that I would never have to return! :P

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:47 PM

Gotta add me to that list too :thumbsup:

I own two pairs of shoes - not because I can't afford more, but simply because I dislike shopping so much!

(Mind you, I don't include buying fresh flowers as 'shopping' - nope, they are for mental health - hoot!).
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#15 ghostwriter

ghostwriter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:37 PM

Welcome to the club!!! :flowers:

If I was allowed I would be in a pair of sneakers and trakkies day in and day out :trumpet: but work doesn't allow that.
I have a pair of shoes that I wear that is apprx 10 years old!! Their finally giving up the ghost ( sniff). If I only had the smarts to buy 2 at the time... I buy shoes about every 5-7 years cause I dislike it soo much but I now buy 2 of each if their really comfy, so I don't need to go back sooner than necessary.
Maram - like you, it's not that I can't afford to go out and buy I just loathe the thought of doing so! :cool:

I know what you mean Tink about the clothing sizes!! I also hate to try things on.... And what gives with the sizes!!!! In one day I could be a 14, 16, 18 & 20!!! I mean, I know I'm no supermodel but talk about a moral booster....NOT!!

And while we're on the subject, if your chest size is bigger than a thumbtack, that just throws another spanner in the works! :inlove: :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users