Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hd Read Only

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 megznlee

megznlee

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:10 AM

I have recently had my PC back from the shop to sort out some serious virus etc issues.

Since the PC has come back, all the files on the C drive are marked as 'read only' and I can not delete anything.

None of the favourites that I stored previously to sending the PC in for work are working, yet when I try to delete them, I am advised that as the file is read only I am unable to delete the link. :thumbsup:

I have checked that the account I am using is the only one on the PC, and it is set as the administrator.

I have tried to deselect the read only box in properties for the files, but nothing is working. :flowers:

Can someone please help me? :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:57 AM

XP Home or Pro? NTFS or FAT32? What browser?

All WinXP files are "Read Only"
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 megznlee

megznlee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:43 PM

Hi

I am running XP Home Edition, and using Internet Explorer. I do not know about the NTFS or FAT32 thingy . . . .

#4 megznlee

megznlee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 04:28 AM

Hi

Is anyone able to help me with this problem? :flowers:

It would be heaps appreciated. . . . :thumbsup:

Cheers

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:37 AM

Hi

I am running XP Home Edition, and using Internet Explorer. I do not know about the NTFS or FAT32 thingy . . . .

Go to your harddrive rightclick and select properties there you will see what it is. I feel that the shop "did a number on you "and you should bring it back.

#6 megznlee

megznlee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:45 PM

Hi

Thanks for the tip fozzie. :flowers:

The properties tell me that my file system is NTFS . . . . does that help with my problem?

I guess I will have to ring the shop and ask them what is wrong with the PC - here's hoping they don't tell me to bring it back in (and pay more money) . . . :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users