Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Tragedy

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:58 AM

James Kim was Senior Editor at CNET.
I felt so sad reading this report.He gave his life to try and save his young family against impossible odds.
James Kim,you are a "HERO".
May you REST IN PEACE.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16070337/

DSTM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:33 AM

A tragedy? For sure. Unfortunetly, it happens in the Oregon wilderness more often then publicized.
A hero? The locals would use a much harsher term. :flowers:
I've serveyed the Rouge River Basin and traveled the Merlin Galice road. That road is tricky enough in summer. You do not even attempt it in the winter by automobile. There are numerous logging roads along that route that could easily be mistaken as part of the main road when snow covered as well. It is really not maintained in winter nor are there the needed amount of warning signs for people who have never traveled it. For the life of me I can't understand why he went down into the canyons unless he thought he could follow the river back to Merlin. Though rivers often lead to civilization, they are often the longest route because they wind. Oh well, I guess we'll never know. :thumbsup:

#3 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:55 AM

If the road is so treacherous why is it not road blocked and closed?

I ask this from the security of being in the middle of flat west Texas desert land where snow is only a theoretical concept. :thumbsup:
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

#4 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:10 AM

Just heard about this story yesterday and then this...so tragic.

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:42 AM

It travels through the Siskiyou National Forest and the town of Agness sits right in the middle of it.
If nothing else, it's the only ground rescue avenue available for 100's of square miles of wilderness.
It "looks" good on a map but if you ask any of the locals, they'll tell you to stay off it in winter.
I think clear warnings every couple of miles or so would be sufficient. They should also designate what is a logging road and what is not. There are literally thousands of these type of secondary roads across America that only the locals have full knowledge of and are never closed. They like it that way. :thumbsup: I'm sure you probably have a few down in West Texas that only the locals "really" know nlinecomputers.

Edited by HitSquad, 07 December 2006 - 11:01 AM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 01:32 PM

This is a terrible tradgedy. The loss to the family, their trauma.
But it should serve as a reminder that people need to have some basic survival skills. The poor man wandered some 13 miles for help. Moving 8 miles then 5 in another direction. He was found a mile from the car. that is even sadder.

Edited by boopme, 07 December 2006 - 01:32 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 01:47 PM

It travels through the Siskiyou National Forest and the town of Agness sits right in the middle of it.
If nothing else, it's the only ground rescue avenue available for 100's of square miles of wilderness.
It "looks" good on a map but if you ask any of the locals, they'll tell you to stay off it in winter.
I think clear warnings every couple of miles or so would be sufficient. They should also designate what is a logging road and what is not. There are literally thousands of these type of secondary roads across America that only the locals have full knowledge of and are never closed. They like it that way. :thumbsup: I'm sure you probably have a few down in West Texas that only the locals "really" know nlinecomputers.

Yes and no. We don't have the environment you do and frankly Texas is pretty good about it's roads. In General Texas keeps better roads then many states do but we also don't have the weather conditions that destroy roads either so it's easier for us to do so.

#8 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:25 PM

A tragedy? For sure. Unfortunetly, it happens in the Oregon wilderness more often then publicized.
A hero? The locals would use a much harsher term. :flowers:
I've serveyed the Rouge River Basin and traveled the Merlin Galice road. That road is tricky enough in summer. You do not even attempt it in the winter by automobile. There are numerous logging roads along that route that could easily be mistaken as part of the main road when snow covered as well. It is really not maintained in winter nor are there the needed amount of warning signs for people who have never traveled it. For the life of me I can't understand why he went down into the canyons unless he thought he could follow the river back to Merlin. Though rivers often lead to civilization, they are often the longest route because they wind. Oh well, I guess we'll never know. :thumbsup:

A few weather advisory warning signs may have saved this mans life,and also years of sorrow for the survivors.I feel for the young children involved.Nobody deserves to freeze to death,when maybe it could have been avoided.I can imagine how happy the family must have been to be going on this trip,and then tragedy strikes.How unfortunate.Let this be a lesson to all of us to take every precaution possible,when visiting unfamiliar terrain, so we don't end up in a similar situation.

Edited by DSTM, 07 December 2006 - 02:29 PM.

#9 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:55 PM

We don't have the environment you do and frankly Texas is pretty good about it's roads.

I don't live in Oregon (Chicago area resident) but my work takes me from the Southern Colorado Rockies north through Wyoming, Montana, the Pacific Northwest and in to Alaska. Illinois takes very good care of it's roads as well (unlike Michigan were I'm originally from). I would have thought portions of Texas might be prone to flash floods or other such unexpected conditions that sometimes happen in Arizona and Nevada.
Ran across more the one washed out road in the SW. :thumbsup:

Let this be a lesson to all of us to take every precaution possible,when visiting unfamiliar terrain, so we don't end up in a similar situation.

Amen to that. Because I travel that portion of the country every year, my SUV is always loaded with survival equipment during winter. The really sad part of this story is that had he stayed put, he'd be alive.
Something as simple as protective ware and a compass would have done it too.

#10 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:24 PM

Floods can happen but not often here in Midland Tx. When they do they close the road. But the water clears in few days. It's not snow pack like the mountains or the northern plains states.

#11 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:26 PM

This is very tragic but I only have one little question...

He got lost right? Why didn't he have a GPS... He worked for CNET plus he owned a couple of clothing stores (so the guy isn't poor), if he didn't get one free and he loved electronic things so I am sure that would have been something that he would have no?

Edited by Klinkaroo, 07 December 2006 - 11:27 PM.

#12 wesburnsco86

wesburnsco86

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:22 AM

I guess theres no such thing as being over prepared for such a thing.Was this guy just on some joy ride?
Posted Image
Thanks to SteveAlmighty for my sig

#13 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:13 AM

I guess theres no such thing as being over prepared for such a thing.Was this guy just on some joy ride?

I agree with you,one can never be over prepared for every scenario that could eventuate.
This 35 yr old professional business man. taking his wife and family on a trip in the snow country,
could hardly be called a "Joy Ride" IMHO.

DSTM.

Edited by DSTM, 08 December 2006 - 09:52 AM.

#14 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:01 AM

On this subject. Link to good advice on winter driving.

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/travelplann...ter-Driving.htm

#15 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:41 AM

He wasn't joy riding, they we're going back to San Francissco from a Thanksgiving Weekend in Oregon with their family and they took a wrong turn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users