Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Search My Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ForeverMan724

ForeverMan724

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:56 AM

i have recently just did a massive clean up of my computer (home page was hijacked), and have finaly got this annoying Virusbusters off of my computer.

now, im affraid something is still on my computer and preventing me from getting rid of it O.o creepy.

every time i start a "search" to find a lost file (how to play Magic the Gathering) this "windows installer" pops up and freezes my computer
>.< if i leave the windows installer up my computer freezes, if i try to cancel the windows installer my computer freezes.

so far i have had to restart my computer with "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" (to bring up Task Master). as i have shutdown my computer i have noticed these three things axtimer.exe, vsmon.exe, and ZLCLIENT.exe i have no clue what these .exe are. so i am going to do 2 things....

one, im going to try to do the manual clean up of my computer for the Virusbusters problem and hope that i find the answer that way.

two, i will be waiting to find out if anyone here can help me.

i hope i have given enough information. i will be watching for anyone here who might know what to do.

thax to bleeping computer for such a cool forum,
ForeverMan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:47 AM

I have encountered a similar problem with Installer. It was solved only when I inserted the CD
that the program came on. Then the installer found the file it was looking for. It is entirely
possible that after all your work an essential file for that game no longer exists. Windows Installer
is a "Service" and can be disabled. This, however will mean that you will not be able to install apps
that need it including Windows updates. If damaged, Windows Installer can itself be removed and
reinstalled. Go to Microsoft for specific directions.

Vsmon and zlclient are both processes of Zone Alarm. They must both run for proper function of ZA.
I could find no information on Axtimer with a short search. Have you run A2 or Spybot lately?

Good Luck-1101doc
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:08 AM

Axtimer may be related to crapware Viewpoint Manager. If it is listed in Add/Remove Programs remove it. Have you previously posted a HJT log to see if you are completely clean?
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#4 ForeverMan724

ForeverMan724
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 01:20 PM

thank you 1101doc, ill look into that.

thank you too theterrorist75, sorry but i do not know what HJT log is.

ill keep ya posted on what i find the truth is.

SoBe,
ForeverMan!

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:15 PM

thank you 1101doc, ill look into that.

thank you too theterrorist75, sorry but i do not know what HJT log is.

ill keep ya posted on what i find the truth is.

SoBe,
ForeverMan!

Read this: Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Instructions for receiving help in cleaning your computer

Then post a Hijack This log here: HijackThis Logs and Analysis
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users