Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Counterstrike 1.6 Studdering

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Maabsta

Maabsta

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:28 PM

I've been playing counterstrike 1.6 lately and have been experiencing studdering in the game. It seems like I lag for a little bit and the game suddenly catches up. This lasts only a couple seconds max but happens pretty frequently. My ping never changes but players say that i'm lagging like crazy. The lag makes me lose a lot of matches due to this problem. I wonder if the problem comes from my graphics card. I use a Radeon x600. My computer has 1Gig of ram and a 3.0 processor. I'll supply more specifics if needed. I'm just wondering if anybody knows what could be the cause of this issue. I"ve debated buying a new Radeon x800GTO graphics card to solve the problem but I do not know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:28 AM

Check your video settings, make sure you are running with OpenGL and not D3D. CS1 hates D3D.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#3 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:47 AM

Have you ever heard of the ATI commands? I'm not sure if they're for Nvidia or ATI cards, but they helped my PC when I first got it when I had an X300 in it before I got my 7800 gt.

Yea, definatly try playing in OpenGL, but maybe also try the ATI commands in the console. Type ati in console and it should bring up two commands, both should be set to zero.

Edit* Well, if it's happening for a couple of seconds, maybe it could also be another program that hogs resources for a moment?

Edited by Wizdabest, 07 December 2006 - 09:48 AM.

#4 Maabsta

Maabsta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:41 PM

I am running it in Open GL... never tried the ATI command. I don't think a program is being a CPU hog. But I read another article somewhere saying that Steam games have trouble with Dual Core Processors. I heard that it tries running somethings in Counterstrike 2 times causing a speed like hack effect to players. Anyone have any more information?

#5 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:02 PM

Well, Counter-Strike 2 is actually Counter-Strike: Srouce, which is a game on a totally different engine. However, yes, there are studdering problems with the Source Engine, but I'm not sure if there are any fixes like that for the older Half-Life 1 engine games.

#6 Maabsta

Maabsta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:13 AM

I meant it processes things in counterstrike, 2 different times. Not counterstrike 2. But i am still having trouble with this studdering i have no idea what it is.

#7 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:54 AM

oh woops.

#8 Maabsta

Maabsta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:05 AM

Here are some simple specs for my computer. I'm not at home so bare with me. I own a Dell E510 System. I have a Pentium D Pressler Processor 3.0Ghz. I have 1 gig of Dell ram. It has a brand new Geforce 7600 GT graphics card. Besides that everything else is just simple dell stuff. Everybody I talk to tells me the problem seems to be software related. I have already uninstalled all of Steam and reinstalled everything to no avail. The problem doesn't seem to be memory or graphics card related due to the fact that most of that stuff is very new. I updated all of my drivers. I also must mention that I am using wireless DSL internet. All of my other games I play like Starcraft and Everquest work fine. I have no idea what this studdering is due to but I would appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks BC!

#9 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:52 AM

I have been an avid cs player for years....lol, and Ive never heard fo this "stuttering" problem, However, I will say this

have you fiddled with your ingame commands yet? such as fps_max fps_modem fps_lan

cl_updaterate cl_cmdrate rate ex_interp ??

any of those?, just wondering because if you haven't you could play with those settings, Maybe tha'tll help the problem....

Probably not, just my 2 cents..lol

#10 Maabsta

Maabsta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:25 PM

I'ved messed with cl_updaterate, cl_cmdrate, rate, and ex_interp. None of them seemed to help. Thanks for the reply.

#11 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:54 PM

I did a quick scan on google for something relative to what you're experiencing

and I found this

it might help you with your problems. Basically if you haven't read any of it yet, its a step by step on how to set it so that your computer will only work from one core, instead of two, And that should fix your stuttering problem

Im not sure which way will work better the first or the second guys, But personally I might go with the second guys way first, To see if it helps, Then do the first, As setting it so that your compute ronly runs off one core will be tedious when you want your second back and you have to do it eveyrtime

#12 nyiddle

nyiddle

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:11 PM

I am running it in Open GL... never tried the ATI command. I don't think a program is being a CPU hog. But I read another article somewhere saying that Steam games have trouble with Dual Core Processors. I heard that it tries running somethings in Counterstrike 2 times causing a speed like hack effect to players. Anyone have any more information?

Yeah I know what you're talking about, it's rumored that sometimes during CS when you're playing with a dual-core CPU it will use both of the 'cores' of the CPU and because of that you'll look as though you're speedhacking. Sadly, I don't know what to tell you. I know they resolved this issue in CS:S since I can play it fine with a dual-core CPU, so you should start playing that. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users