Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Utilities To Speed Up Slow Pc's

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ib4gains

ib4gains

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:16 PM

Hi,

Just wondering if you know of any performance utilities that actually work to speed up the pc. I've tried the retail software's, but did not pass muster.

Edited by ib4gains, 06 December 2006 - 11:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:25 AM

There can be many reasons for a "slow" computer. Your post is not specific.
Low-end CPU, insufficient memory(RAM), overfull or severely fragmented
local( C ) Disk, virus, spyware, and unnessary background Services all
contribute to the problem. If the "slowness" is internet related then the
speed of your connection, your browser settings, and DNS server all can
play a role. Rather than expecting some magical all-in-one application
to do it for you take this opportunity to investigate each of the above
categories to determine what you need for the way in which you use your
computer. These forums are a good starting place.

Do you have a clean-up utility?
Anti-Virus?
Anti-Spyware?
Firewall?
Do you defragment?
Do you know anything about XP Services?
Do you know how many programs start with Windows?
Can you control them?

Answers to all these questions will give you the ability to configure Windows
and your machine to your liking.

Specific questions in the forums usually get specific,prompt and helpful responses.
I am sure that many of the more advanced members simply skipped over your post as
not worth replying to. Post back with your system details and questions, but take a little
time to research exactly what you need. Most forum members feel that if a simple Google
can answer the question, they don't need to.

Good Luck-1101doc
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:52 AM

Anti-Virus?
Anti-Spyware?
Firewall?
Do you defragment?
Can you control them?

Specific questions in the forums usually get specific,prompt and helpful responses.
I am sure that many of the more advanced members simply skipped over your post as
not worth replying to.
Post back with your system details and questions, but take a little
time to research exactly what you need. Most forum members feel that if a simple Google

Good Luck-1101doc

Hmm... NO. I agree with everything but that statement. At BleepingComputer every topic and post is worth responding to. Sometime do to limiting factors we don't respond a quickly as some may like, but I assure you every question is approached promptly.
In reference to this member's question, it may have been worded poorly but in was none the less valid. If you would have answer it the same way without the condescending lines about the "advanced users" and "Google search", that would have been a GREAT response. We pride ourselves as "Newbie Friendly". I have not personally told anyone to google "instead of posting", and no other staff member has done that either. That is what , I guess, sets BC apart from "Most other forums".
ib4gains please follow 1101doc's advise and post the specs about your computer, and we will take it from there.

Edited by acklan, 07 December 2006 - 08:50 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:27 AM

I'd say that a reply in less than 24 hours is pretty good! Also, any question here is worth while, and while I've asked plenty of questions here, I've never had "Google it" as a response :flowers:

Here's some good reading material when you get a chance!

LINK

LINK(*NOTE* This link is a link to a topic that was pinned and refers to a guide that's rather lenghty....it'll take quite some time to read, but it's got a lot of good info in it! :trumpet: )

Both links are to articles here at BleepingComputer!

However ib4gains, I'd still work with acklan and 1104doc, as they might cover something that's not mentioned in the links that I've provided!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Edited by stevealmighty, 07 December 2006 - 08:29 AM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:59 AM

1101doc,
Two statements in the last paragraph you made, are what I feel to be, wrong, and rude.

I am sure that many of the more advanced members simply skipped over your post as not worth replying to.

Nothing could be further from the truth.
I feel that our members do the best they can to help everybody, with every question they ask.
Most of us remember what it was like, to not know anything about computers, and how difficult it was to admit that on a forum.
I know I do.
One of the purposes of this forum, is to help alleviate those fears.
A place you can come to, and ask any question you want to, without the fear of being talked down to, or being made fun of.
There are no post here thought to be, "not worth replying to".

Most forum members feel that if a simple Google can answer the question, they don't need to.

Our member's are allowed to ask any questions they want, no matter how inconsequential you may think it is.
I don't think "Most forum members" feel the way you do, at least not on this forum, and I feel most of our members would back me up, on this.
We're a family.
We're here to help, in any way we can.
We're geared to the novice computer user.
Some of them may not know of the benifits of Google.
A more constructive reply, would have been to suggest Google, and how to use it.

In the future please keep your replies as constructive, and free of criticism, as possible.
That kind of response, is best left to an elitist forum, where everyone feels they are better, than anyone else.
Not at Bleeping Computer.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 ib4gains

ib4gains
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:21 AM

Anti-Virus?
Anti-Spyware?
Firewall?
Do you defragment?
Can you control them?

not worth replying to. Post back with your system details and questions, but take a little

Good Luck-1101doc

My question is not a specific one. I am asking for a software, utility, or a technique for general use. Geek squad has their own software that is used to speed up a computer, but its not for sale. It checks certain areas of the registry, but my experience is limited so I'm not sure where in registry to look. Just need general advise. Sorry if I did not convey this.

Thanks
ib4gains

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:12 PM

I can only echo TG1911 and Acklan about the appropriateness of the original post. both express the purpose of BC, which is to help people in ALL stages of computer knowledge, and to add to the user's stock of knowledge about computing in as simple and straightforward a manner as the subject matter allows. Of course, the people who help often wish for more information and even a clearer statement of the problem or question because this saves them time replying and asking for the information they really need to provide help or to answer a question properly; but no authentic post is skipped over because of that. That is not the BC way.
Now my own view is that most utilities designed to "speed up the computer" really do not substitute for general and routine maintenance; indeed, many of them can cause more problems than they resolve. This is especially true of registry cleaners, which should be avoided like the plague unless you are very careful and knowledgeable; on the surface they promise to provide a quick and painless cure, a magic f9 button if you will, but in reality cannot be relied upon without a great deal of research about their candidates for deletion.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:20 PM

I never found any software that was particularly effective at speeding up your computer.
I suggest you look at the 2 links stevealmighty suggested.
Thy contain some good information.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 ib4gains

ib4gains
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:22 PM

I can only echo TG1911 and Acklan about the appropriateness of the original post. both express the purpose of BC, which is to help people in ALL stages of computer knowledge, and to add to the user's stock of knowledge about computing in as simple and straightforward a manner as the subject matter allows. Of course, the people who help often wish for more information and even a clearer statement of the problem or question because this saves them time replying and asking for the information they really need to provide help or to answer a question properly; but no authentic post is skipped over because of that. That is not the BC way.
Now my own view is that most utilities designed to "speed up the computer" really do not substitute for general and routine maintenance; indeed, many of them can cause more problems than they resolve. This is especially true of registry cleaners, which should be avoided like the plague unless you are very careful and knowledgeable; on the surface they promise to provide a quick and painless cure, a magic f9 button if you will, but in reality cannot be relied upon without a great deal of research about their candidates for deletion.

Regards,
John

Thanks

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:57 PM

Remember ib4gains, we're here to help! If you'd like to post your computer specs, please do so, and also post any particular things that are slow (like slow when starting windows, or slow when surfing the net) and we'll help you out. Often, when a computer slows down, there's a particular reason for it. However, if you just want general speed, then there are other "avenues of approach" that we can take to try to help speed up your machine! :thumbsup:

Edited by stevealmighty, 07 December 2006 - 12:57 PM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#11 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:48 AM

Boy am I black and blue.

I certainly meant no disrespect to the forum members. I guess I've spent too much time in "other" forums.
I did reply to the post with some suggestions to begin the process and always stand ready do do what I can and admit what I can't. ( which is far, far greater.) I am a relatively new user myself, so I clearly remember many of the frustrations (and joys) of my own learning curve.

All in all I feel that at the least my uneducated (and regretted) comments have brought clearly to light
the distinct and wonderful difference between BC and "other" forums. The clear and insightful help
here is backed by clear and insightful attitude and philosophy. I KNEW there was something different
about this place.

Sincere apologies to you all. It was not my intent to be rude or ungracious, and I will be MUCH more
circumspect in the future.

Humbly and apologetically,
1101doc
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:32 AM

Sincere apologies to you all. It was not my intent to be rude or ungracious, and I will be MUCH more
circumspect in the future.

Humbly and apologetically,
1101doc

While I was offended by your remarks and obviously took them as a mark against the forum, I can also see you you are big enough to admit your mistakes. Speaking solely for myself, I accept your apology.
I hope you will stay and contribute to the forum and help the community, here at BC, to grow.
We all make mistakes, but not all of us realize and correct them. You did both, in my opinion.
If I have not said so, Welcome to Bleeping Computer. Anything you need just ask.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:15 AM

No offense but I thought the person asked a specific question about speeding up their computer, not a general essay question (12 posts) discussing BC moderators opinions. Some advice like this would be more practical. http://computercleanup.blogspot.com/

You are right, it was a request for help in the first post. The second post is where the moderator chimed in. It was not opinion but hard cold facts on what type of behavior would and would not be tolerated here, at BleepingComputer.
If you would check the [url=http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44690.html]link[/b] posted several post back by stevealmighty you can see he did give very good advice. In post two 1101doc made several good recommendations.
So far as the link you provided it is not what I would call "For the novice". The biggest problem I have with it is you recommend removing items and altering the registry, without making a backup. If a user, novice to not, makes changes to their registry without backing it up, and the registry is some how corrupted, the user could very well end up reinstalling XP. At the least doing a repair install.
Programs, like cCleaner, Spybot, Adaware, and MS Defender, make changes to the registry and can be destructive. I back up my registry on all 4 of the computers I use daily once a week. I burn the back ups to CD and have since 1999. I also use programs like MS Defender and Spybot to create Restore Points (Daily) in the event I "Hose" my system.
While you make footnote mentions to Backing up the registry you should have started your site with backing up registry and data as the first priority above all else. It's better to have a bad backup than no backup at all.
Personally I believe your site is boarder line spam, since it is ad driven and you have a monetary incentive to drive members there.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:51 AM

I must've missed the original post.

There are "pinned" topics about fixing specific problems (including slow computers) along with Tutorials and mini-guides all over BC.

I came to BC because I was looking for a new home, having grown dissatisfied with my last hangout. I looked at many other forums, and this is by far the best that I've seen.

I'll continue to hang my hat here as long as it stays the way that it is - and this is because of the tireless efforts of the mods to keep it that way. Thanks folks!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:05 PM

I posted links to some of those pinned topics earlier in the topic usasma! Hopefully, ib4gains has used them and now sped up his/her computer a bit!

I'm sure with everyone's insight here, ib4gains computer now runs like it's in turbo :thumbsup: !!!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users