Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Died, Survived By Graphics Card And Case

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guilo

Guilo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:05 PM

As of Tuesday, December 5th, 2007 at 17:18 my ASUS Motherboard was pronounced dead. She was survived by a graphics card.. and a case.

Basically, I'm buying a new motherboard / processor. I was informed that a good route to go would be a Duo 2 Core Processor by Intel. I'm going to try and remain with Intel, as I have always done.

However, I'm very, unknowledgeable, when coming to hardware. I'm not sure exactly what I need to get. It seems I have a "P4 3.4GHZ (800FSB) 1MB" Processor and a Asus P4P800-E Deluxe I865PE MB Motherboard. Looking at www.newegg.com I found two items I was considering purchasing, however I'm not sure if its necessary, or if it is even a upgrade. The sole purpose of my computer is gaming, and I LOVE graphics/performance. My gaming consists of MMORPGS (World of Warcraft) so I need good performance to compete.

Here are the two hardware pieces:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?...N82E16819115003

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813128012

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:47 PM

Looks good, but make sure your RAM matches your motherboard slots.
I doubt it does if you had a P4.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:13 PM

The memory in the Asus is DDR 400, the new RAM is DDR2...no it will not be compatible.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:06 PM

As a fitting match for the Core 2 Duo, I'd suggest the MSI 975x Platinum Power Up Edition - it's an awesome board that I just started using with my E6600.

It's got ton's of options so that you can make it do anything that you'd like!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Slayer6571

Slayer6571

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:22 PM

you dont really need to spend the 100$ extra on a E6600, a E6400 runs at about the same speed (u wont notice a diffrence...i didnt). in my opinion it isnt worth the 100$.

i was gonna use that mobo for the pc i built last week but i switched to an ASUS =P

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:45 PM

I didn't select the Asus because of problems with RAID that were discussed in this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/11/fou...for_core_2_duo/

FWIW - I wanted either a 975x or nForce 680 chipset. The 975x was a lot cheaper!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:44 PM

Speaking of 680 northbridges. I heard they were coming out with a 680a for AMD.. I wonder when Newegg is going to sell it. (It has 2 slots for processors, 2 dual core FX 62s would probably line up with a QX6700)

Edited by Archer-of-Death, 10 December 2006 - 08:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users