Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Good Gaming Computer?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kevin92

kevin92

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:25 PM

I'm looking for a good gaming computer, this is what I'm thinking of getting http://pc.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.php?act...platformid=1000 I want to try and keep it under 1800, anyone want to finish it off for me, add speakers, keyborad, anything neccesary, go right ahead. If not that, you can try building something else too, thanks a lot!

Edit: I live in Canada, so Canadian prices, and Canadian websites would be nice.

Edited by kevin92, 06 December 2006 - 03:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:08 PM

I just built a new computer about 2 months ago.

Motherboard 220$
Graphics Card 300$
RAM 263$
Hard Drive 100$
Processor 310$
Case 140$
Monitor 175$
aproxx total: 1508

If you want to spend up to 1800, I'd recomend either getting more ram, a better graphics card, or the processor above that one.

Edited by Archer-of-Death, 06 December 2006 - 06:38 PM.

#3 kevin92

kevin92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:17 PM

Alright, I changed some things I didn't need around, and updated the video card, what do you think?

#4 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:00 PM

Looks good. I wish you could use newegg to canada, though. Because the E6600 isn't so overpriced.

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:47 AM

Just my two cents worth here...If I were to skimp on anything, it would be the processor.

For games, the graphics card does most of the work, so the cpu can kick back and relax quite a bit. I'd look into either the Core 2 Duo E6300, or the Core 2 Duo E6400. Quite a difference in price, and you'll still get great speed out of the processor, while saving a good amount of money.

Check this link HERE. It's to Toms Hardware guide. It's a compairison chart for different processors. Select the 2 processors you want to compair (should already be selected) then select a benchmark...the results will be marked in red. Check for yourself, and this way you can make your own educated decision :huh: .

Check the difference between the E6400 and the E6600. According to the compairisons, there's only a little difference in the speed from one to the other in all the benchmarks, certainly nothing "overwelming" making the faster (more expensive) processor stand out. IMHO, the difference in price isn't worth the difference in speed.

Hope this helps! :huh:

EDIT: FYI, I built my computer on a tight budget, and built it with gaming in mind (as I'm a gamer!), and can run F.E.A.R. in the max resolution/highest settings smoothly. I put it together for about $800. I kept an eye out for sales and rebates, then purchased stuff a little at a time. I'll post the specs below.

200gb hdd 7200rpm
Abit Motherboard with 2.93 Celeron cpu 533mhz (combo kit cost less than $100)
SB! Live soundcard 24bit
550W psu

Just goes to show that one doesn't need to spend an arm and a leg to have a decent computer to play games on! :thumbsup:

Edited by stevealmighty, 07 December 2006 - 08:55 AM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 kevin92

kevin92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:55 PM

Made the neccesary changes, I think it's looking good, just a question about the OS, what do you think I should go for? Should I go for Vista, or wait for it to get out all the gltiches, then upgrade later?

Edit: I just realized that Windows Vista isn't even out yet, I thought it was, because I saw ads saying how you can upgrade to vista for free :S

Edited by kevin92, 09 December 2006 - 12:29 AM.

#7 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:36 AM

my friend says he read in a computer magazine that windows vista has lots of errors and the experts say windows xp is better.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:29 AM

The final version of Vista wasn't released to manufacturer's until November 7th, with the first copies released to others were released on November 17th.

I don't see how a magazine can do a decent review and get it printed in the time that it took to reach us here. I think that this would be reviews of the beta software - and that's why they're called betas, because they're still in development and aren't expected to function without problem.

Also, the same thing was being said about Windows XP when it came out.

I have been using Vista since the early beta builds and it has been my primary OS (the RTM version) for a couple of weeks now. I haven't had any problems with it (other than the darned UAC stuff). My biggest problems are with forcing it to accept and use programs designed for XP - but I've been successful on most attempts.

Once Vista's released we should see an immense flood of updates for applications/drivers to work in Vista. Until then it's not a good choice.

But, once it's released it'll make your life so much easier. Here's a story that I like to tell:

I installed Vista and it didn't recognize my TV card. Once the installation was done, it popped up and asked permission to figure out what my "Unknown Device" was. When I answered "Yes", it went out on the web, found out what the device was (a Hauppage PVR-250), downloaded the drivers for it, installed them and then told me that it was ready to use.

Pretty impressive to me - try getting XP to do that!

There are some vast improvements in the ways that Windows works in Vista. For example, that durned UAC (User Access Control) that will drive you crazy. It's actually a good idea - it prevents you from running with Administrative privileges - so that you don't accidentally get infected. IE7 offers Protected mode surfing, which further isolates you from threats. Good stuff!

So, I'd recommend it in the future, but not until you can get it to do what you want it to do (install apps without jumping through hoops). The graphics and DX10 will make it worth the wait.

And the list goes on.......
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Dizzybro

Dizzybro

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:31 AM

System Warranty and Coverage : [Platinum 3 Year] Parts, Labor and Shipping
Case and Color : [Cooler Master] Stacker 830 Mid/Full Tower (Black)
SureCool System and Fan Colors (Ultra-Quiet) : Blue
Processor Cooling : Custom Internal Water Cooling System
Power Supply : [Enermax] 1000 Watt Power Supply
Video Adapter(s) : (2) [NVIDIA] Quadro FX 5500 1024MB (SLI)
Monitor 1 : [Samsung] 244T-BK (24 inch) 6ms Black
Monitor 2 : [Samsung] 244T-BK (24 inch) 6ms Black
Disk Array 1 | Hard Disk Drive(s) : (2) [Seagate] 750GB SATA 7,200 RPM 16MB Cache
Disk Array 2 | Hard Disk Drive(s) : (2) [Seagate] 750GB SATA 7,200 RPM 16MB Cache
Disk Array 3 | Hard Disk Drive(s) : [Seagate] 750GB SATA 7,200 RPM 16MB Cache
SATA RAID Controller : [XFX] (SATA RAID 0, 1, 3) (5-Port) REVO64
Processor(s) : [Intel] Core 2 Duo X6800 Extreme 4MB HyperClocked (3600MHz+)
Motherboard : [Intel] D975XBX CrossFire (775)
System Memory : 4GB DDR/DDR2
Operating System : [Microsoft] Windows XP Professional
External Storage 1 : [Seagate] External 500GB USB/FireWire
External Storage 2 : [Seagate] External 500GB USB/FireWire
External Storage 3 : [Seagate] External 500GB USB/FireWire
External Storage 4 : [Seagate] External 500GB USB/FireWire
Hot-Swap and Removable Hard Disk Drive Trays 1 : (5 Drive) Removable SATA Hard Drive Cage
Hot-Swap and Removable Hard Disk Drive Trays 2 : (5 Drive) Removable SATA Hard Drive Cage
Ethernet Adapter 1 : [Netgear] WPN311 108Mbps MIMO-G Wireless
Ethernet Adapter 2 : [Netgear] WPN311 108Mbps MIMO-G Wireless
Routers : [Netgear] WPN824 108Mbps Wireless
CD/DVD 1 : [Plextor] (External) 16X Dual Layer DVD Burner
CD/DVD 2 : [Plextor] (External) 16X Dual Layer DVD Burner
Sound Adapter : [Creative Labs] Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1
Speakers : [Logitech] Z-5450 5.1
Keyboard : [Auravision] EluminX S202 Illuminated
Mouse : [Razer] Copperhead
Keyboard/Mouse Combo : [Logitech] diNovo Media Desktop Cordless Optical
Mouse Accessories : [WireWeight] Mouse Cord Anchor - Gamer Recommended!
Gaming Controller 1 : [Logitech] MOMO G25 Racing Wheel and Pedals
Gaming Controller 2 : [Logitech] Freedom 2.4 Cordless Joystick
Games and Entertainment 1 : Call of Duty 2 (Collector's Edition)
Games and Entertainment 2 : Doom III
Business & Productivity 2 : [Adobe] Premiere Pro 1.5
Business & Productivity 1 : [Adobe] After Effects Pro 6.5
System Utilities and Protection 1 : [Symantec] pcAnywhere 11.5 (Host & Remote)
System Utilities and Protection 2 : [Symantec] Norton Internet Security 2007
Shipping Options : [FedEx] 1-Day Service (Computer Only)
CD/DVD Cable Color : Rounded Cable (Steel)
Floppy Disk Drive Cable Color : Rounded Cable (Steel)

System Price : $22,408.00

#10 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:05 PM

Business Video editing/game making computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users