Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Unstable And Crashes On Update.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Will_Decay

Will_Decay

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:56 PM

Basicly I downloaded a trojan downloading program and in the course of removing it I messed with the win32 file, a stupid move I know but we all make mistakes. Now all the malware is gone but the system is real tempremental.

Any attempt at win updates makes the system crash and occasionaly when I turn on the computer it says service and control app error and then when I send a report it begins a 1 minute countdown til shutdown. I have tried both Registry Mechanic and RegistryFix.

I would greatly appretiate any help you might be able to give.

(let me know what logs you need)

Thanks again, Peter
Never have 2 full running anti virus programs. Its a nasty affair all together.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:31 PM

Basicly I downloaded a trojan downloading program and in the course of removing it I messed with the win32 file, a stupid move I know but we all make mistakes.Now all the malware is gone but the system is real tempremental.
There are some excellent free utilities that are very well equiped to do this sort of thing for you. One of those, the Ewido Trojan scanner has been purchased recently by the makers of AVG (Grisoft) and is renamed to AVG Anti-Spyware...it too is free and can be downloaded HERE. As for the Win32 file, do you mean System32? The files are windows core files that you would not be able to delete. If you WERE able to delete or otherwise cause some corruption to one of them, the Windows File Check would immediately replace it.
The fact that you say your system is tempermental makes me pause at your statement "now all the malware is gone"...I have my doubts. Download and run the AVG Anti-Spyware utility to be sure...even then, there may be some that linger

Any attempt at win updates makes the system crash and occasionaly when I turn on the computer it says service and control app error and then when I send a report it begins a 1 minute countdown til shutdown. I have tried both Registry Mechanic and RegistryFix.
The behavior you describe is also caused by malware (sometimes). Your next sentence here is somewhat telling. Your "tempermental" problems may be due to the use of these Registry Cleaners. May...is the key word. When you use them, do you investigate each entry that they present for removal or do you just blindly remove everything that is suggested? It has been my experience working the various help forums that users more often than not, will have problems thinking them to be malware that turns out to be from using these Registry cleaners. The reason is because these users WILL remove everything that is presented without investigating. That is like shooting in the dark. If this describes you, please navigate those applications to locate any back-up copies that may have been made and restore them. You can use the Windows Live One Care for this same purpose but I believe it to be much safer. If you have Windows XP, the system restore will create a backup before anything is removed from the Registry. It will also scan for viruses and a variety of malware. Post back if you are still having issues. Thanks!

Disabled Veteran, U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

Member: U.N.I.T.E.
Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

#3 Will_Decay

Will_Decay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:39 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/73562/system-unstable-and-crashes-on-update/

The Malware is definitly gone, I have used adaware, spyware doctor, AVG and Blacklight Beta. It is the system that is unstable and it is due to my deletion of 2 files from the system32 folder, I searched for all files and folders and found 2 that I stupidly deleted. I have tried a system restore and it has not helped.

I also tried the windows live one that 1972vet recomended and it did find several invalid entries but did not fix my system, when I attempt to update the system I get the following error message.

"Windows has detected a problem and has shutdown to prevent damage,

If this is your 1st time to experience this message then restart your computer. If you recive it again then try the following.

Check to ensure there is adequate disk space. If a driver is identifeid then disable it and check with manifacturor for updates. Change your video input.

Check with your hardware provider for BIOS updates and disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shaddowing. If you need to use windows safe mode then press F8 on start up and select advanced options and run windows in safe mode.

Technical.

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xA9951B7C, 0xA955A8B8, 0x00000000)

Begining dump of phisical memory.
Dumping of phisical memory complete"

#4 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:29 PM

Do you have your Windows XP installation CD Handy?

mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

#5 Will_Decay

Will_Decay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:35 PM

I'm afraid not man, I didn't get one with this. Its a Dell and they said it came with all the programs I would need on it.

#6 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:48 PM

OK...it's not important that it be YOUR windows xp CD. Do you know anyone who does have an installation CD that you can use? All we need to do is use it for your System File Check scan so we can replace the files that are either missing or corrupt.

mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

#7 Will_Decay

Will_Decay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:40 PM

Its 335am here so I will have to get back to you about that. Thanks for the help and all, I really appreciate it as I already lost my old computer to something similar to this.

I will let you know either tomorrow or the next day. Thanks again.

#8 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:11 AM

Without a CD you can point SFC to your i386 folder on your recovery partition or root drive.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lof...php/t43051.html
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#9 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:41 PM

This article that "TheTerroist" referenced above has some good instruction however there are some issues that may surface that the article doesn't address...you can see that the user still had problems even though he followed all those steps in that article.

If you have any difficulty with it, please post back with information regarding any error message or at least what result you realized.

We can walk you through the Registry edits that may be necessary if all you have is the original I386 folder

Thanks!

mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

#10 Will_Decay

Will_Decay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:47 PM

I tried that as suggested and It said I needed to insert the disc for files to be copied to DLL cache. I ran the scan again with the disc in the drive and it didn't prompt me to do anything so I assumed it was fixed so I restarted my computer and then tried to update, my system crashed again and displayed the error message as above.

When I restarted my computer I got this error message.

Services & ControllApp error.

(asking to send an error report)

The technical details of the report are as follows.

szAppName: Services.exe szAppVer: 5.1.2600.2180
szModName: Services.exe szAppVer 5.1.2600.2180 offset: 00008e40

And further info is

C:/DOCUME~1\Peter\LOCALS~Temp\WERcded.dir0001\services.exe.mdmp

c:/DOCUME~1\Peter\LOCALS~Temp\WERcded.dir0001\appcomat.txt

I have my sisters windowsxp disc including sp1 on it I would appreciate any assistance you guys can offer.

#11 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:26 PM

I tried that as suggested and It said I needed to insert the disc for files to be copied to DLL cache. I ran the scan again with the disc in the drive Glad you were able to locate a disk to use....and it didn't prompt me to do anything so I assumed it was fixed so I restarted my computer and then tried to update, my system crashed again and displayed the error message as above.

When I restarted my computer I got this error message.

Services & ControllApp error.

The error message "Services & ControllApp error" seems to relate to a game. Are the games you play on a disk? If so, uninstall them for the time being...since you have them on disk you can always reinstall them later.

Next, let's make sure you can view all files since we'd like to delete a temp folder that is normally hidden:
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select
    Show hidden files and folders.
  • Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files
    (recommended) option.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.
Now navigate to the following folders and delete the files indicated in Bold text:
C:/DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\Peter\LOCAL SETTINGS\Temp\WERcded.dir0001\services.exe.mdmp
c:/DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\Peter\LOCAL SETTINGS\Temp\WERcded.dir0001\appcomat.txt
***NOTE***Once you've deleted the folder WERcded.dir0001 then everything that was in it also goes. So don't worry if you cannot locate any of the other files indicated above.

Reboot the computer. Everything running ok now? If so, visit Windows Update Site and install everything presented as Critical. Reboot after installation and post back your results.

mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

#12 Will_Decay

Will_Decay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:21 PM

I'm afraid I cant find those, I did everything you said, here is a snapshot of that folder and all the WER folders I could see

Posted Image

I still got a few errors, system shutdown and was displaying a message to this effect.

NT AUTHORIZATION/System

Basicly shutting down in one minute (I missed allot of it because I was caught off guard)

Thanks for your patientce

#13 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:44 PM

Download and scan with CCleaner
1. CCleaner installs the Yahoo Toolbar as an option which IS checkmarked by default during the installation. IF you do NOT want it, REMOVE the checkmark when provided with the option OR download the toolbarfree Basic version instead of the Standard Build.

2. Before first use, select Options-->Advanced and UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"

3. Then select the items you wish to clean up.

In the Windows Tab:
Clean all entries in the "Internet Explorer" section. *Note*
Checking "Cookies" will remove problem spyware cookies and help to speed up other spyware/adware/malware scans.
This will mean however, the next time you click on a web page where you have signed in before, you will have to re-enter your user I.D. and password.

Clean all the entries in the "Windows Explorer" section.
Clean all entries in the "System" section.
Clean all entries in the "Advanced" section.
Clean any others that you choose.

In the Applications Tab:
Clean all in the Firefox/Mozilla section if you use it.
Clean all in the Opera section if you use it.
Clean Sun Java in the Internet Section.
Clean any others that you choose.

4. Click the "Run Cleaner" button.
5. A pop up box will appear advising this process will permanently delete files from your system.
6. Click "OK" and it will scan and clean your system.
7. Click "exit" when done.

Reboot and post back your results. Thanks!

mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

#14 Will_Decay

Will_Decay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:53 PM

I use CCleaner pretty regular, will that effect this any?

Im basicly cleaning everything exept autocomplete?

(meaning its already setup and configured)

Edited by Will_Decay, 07 December 2006 - 10:57 PM.

#15 Will_Decay

Will_Decay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:17 PM

I ran it like you suggested but I keep getting the same error message now, and even when I delete the directory it makes a new one, I removed all of my WER files before crashing and when I rebooted they were back.

I have the winxp disc and I slipstreamed it with the sp2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users