Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Definate Problem, Need Answers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:04 AM

Last night I shut off my pc and went to bed, but I heard this clicking, so I got up and checked. EVERYTHING was blinking. My computer won't respond in any way. I have a T2240 Emachine, everythin standard that matters.
Any ideas?
Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:21 AM

Well, I did some reading online, and with other people who had the same problem as you (lights blink, but that's it, nothing else works), they had to replace the mobo in their emachine.

I wouldn't run out and buy one just yet though. I'd strip the tower down to bare bones, leaving just the hdd, fans, 1 stick of ram, mobo and cpu (with fans of course) and try to power it up. If it fails to start, then swap out the stick of ram with another stick that you know will work (one that is compatible with your mobo). If that fails, then I'd stick everything back in it (rather, just reconnect the optical drives, floppy etc.) and pull the cmos battery for at least 10 minutes, then reinstall the battery and try to reboot.

If you do have to replace parts, ensure that they will fit in your case, as I believe that emachines are propietary when it comes to some of their hardware components.

Hope this helps, let us know how you make out with this! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 DemonSui

DemonSui
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:37 AM

Tried that, didn't work. Interesting note though, this morning it booted. I went away for 5mins and it was back to blinking.

also: I've had this pc at least 3 years.

um.. thought.. Will it boot w/o the batery?

Edited by DemonSui, 06 December 2006 - 11:41 AM.

PSP M33 USER.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:48 PM

I don't see why it won't boot without the battery. The battery is there to store the settings (rather, changes to the settings) of the bios/cmos setup. You can try it, and see what happens. I don't see how it would hurt anything. I've done it before, and had no changes (I was getting the BSOD, pulled the battery and still got the BSOD).

HERE'S a link to where another person had the same issue that you're having. In the end, he replaced his motherboard and it solved his problem.

Hope it helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 DemonSui

DemonSui
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:03 PM

I don't think the mobo is shot, cause it did actually boot, but died 5 min later. plus I can't afford a replacement....
Guess I'll be pcless for a while...

PSP M33 USER.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:44 PM

Did you strip it down to the bare minimum to make sure that it wasn't a hardware failure? I'd give that a whirl....beats going without a PC :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#7 DemonSui

DemonSui
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:51 PM

I did, don't work

PSP M33 USER.

#8 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:06 AM

99% of the time, the "clicking" noise is a hard drive on it's way out.
In any case, there's no need to look beyond the mechanical mechanisms. (devices with moving parts)
You simply need to isolate the noise by removing the cover and powering up.
Focus on the drives, fans and power supply. It's one of the three and most likely the hard drive.

#9 Layor

Layor

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:31 PM

Are you able to use any substitute parts? i.e. A known good memory stick, or another hard drive, etc.
As HitSqad says, the clicking can only be mechanical and the only mechanical parts in a computer are hard drives, optical drives and fans.
If the computer will boot up for a while then die, it will either be overheating somewhere, (CPU or Memory) or a drive failing.
You say that the computer is 3 years old, have you ever done any housekeeping on it?
Dust and fluff gets everywhere!!! : :thumbsup:

#10 DemonSui

DemonSui
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:12 AM

it's just dead my hd is fine, ram's fine, I've been using that hardware since I bought it, It's gotta be the mobo. I've got a wait ahead of me for a new pc, but I'll manage

PSP M33 USER.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users