Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Not Recognized, Domain Not Available Error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 triangleflyer

triangleflyer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:45 AM

I left my computer on today while doing other things. When I started to work with it in the evening, I discovered it was "hung up." So, I rebooted it but it took a long time to come up and when it did it was asking me to log on. I have not been using a password or having the logon screen before. Although I do not remember ever creating a password, I tried to log on using many of the possible passwords that I might use. None worked and each time I received the error message that the domain "my desktop" was not available. Then I tried loging on as the administrator with the same problem. I don't know whats going on as I did not put in a password. I suspect some file is corrupt but I don't know where to look and besides I can't get access to my machine even with safe boot or at the command prompt. I have a laptop and another desktop connected to this computer via a home network and the network is working fine. I have wasted hours on it and it really irritates me. I went to the microsoft site but couldn't come up with any problems that were the same as mine. I did see a similar item in this forum but it was for SP1 and I am using SP2. Do I need to re-install or repair windows? Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
JRB
[font=Century Gothic][b][size=7]JRB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:16 AM

Leave the password blank and just press the <Enter> key.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:21 AM

Would you normally logon to a domain. Or would it be the local machine. Try changing the setting to local machine.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#4 triangleflyer

triangleflyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for your posts. I am not familar with a domain so I have never logged onto one. Leaving the password blank is no help because I get the same message. This is my destop computer that has the error. I am replying to the messages via my laptop wirelessly connected to my network of three computers.

The computer name of my desktop is "DESK_TOP." When I boot the computer, it takes forever to go past the "windows is starting up" message but eventually it shows the screen with my user name highlighted and waits for me to log on. When I attempt to do so, I get the exact message, "The system cannot log you on now because the domain DESK_TOP is not available.

I didn't know my computer was a domain and I didn't do anything on my own to cause this problem but I am getting tired of messing with it and I am about to just go ahead and re-install windows. In the meantime I keep hoping someone can help me. Thanks,
JRB

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:02 PM

Having the exact error helps.

The system cannot log you on now because the domain <DomainName> is not available

Error Message: System Cannot Log You on Because Domain <Computername> Is Not Available

Get Your Donor Card

#6 triangleflyer

triangleflyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for your links. The second one looked like it would apply to me but when I went to the microsoft site, it said it was for windows 2000 not windows xp. The other problem is, since I can't log onto the computer, I can't make any registry changes etc.
JRB

#7 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:53 PM

The 2K fix should be the same for XP. Boot with your XP CD to the Recovery Console.

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console

Get Your Donor Card

#8 triangleflyer

triangleflyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:22 PM

Thanks to those of you who tried to help me on this problem. Unfortunately none of the suggested fixes worked. Microsoft was of no help because I bought my system from Frys with Windows XP installed. They tell you to go to the vendor. I did not want to erase my hard drive and start from scratch again. So, I restored my drive from an image I had created not too far back and everything is fine now with no loss of data or having to re-install a bunch of stuff. The moral of the story is to keep the image up to date and use it to restore your system. I spent hours trying to do a work around but in the end it was far easier to restore my image.

I tried to do a repair with a windows xp sp2 disk that had been sent to me from microsoft but then it didn't recognize my license keys. Funny how it did before and does again now that I have restored the image.
I'll have to check with Frys about the "invalid" key.

Anyhow everything is fine now.
JRB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users