Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Best Desktop Ever.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:18 PM

I have my Desktop set this way in XP Home
Don't know about other XP variations

Rt. click your taskbar.
Hover over "toolbars."
Choose "new toolbar.

In the "New Toolbar dialog box left click "Desktop," to highlight.
Choose "Make New Folder" button at lower left.
OK

You now have a "New Folder" on you desktop. BUT.
This is a Toolbar Folder!
Drag the folder to any open margin of your screen(left,right,or top) and drop it there.
You now have a new toolbar!

Go to the little bumpy line at the top of the new toolbar and Rt. click.
Choose "Always on top."
Do it again and choose "Auto-hide."
Now the toolbar will pop out when you bump that Desktop margin with your cursor.
Other Rt. click context choices are "Show text" (gives title of icons)
and "Show title." (Displays name of toolbar) " View" offers large or small icons.

But wait! The "New Folder" is still on the Desktop. Rename it as you wish, but leave it there.
Any shortcut icon you drag and drop into that folder appears in your new toolbar
AND disappears from your Desktop!

Shortcuts in the toolbar are one-click launch shortcuts, just like "Quick Launch."
All normal Rt. click shortcut icon context functions are available inside the toolbar.
Drag and drop inside the toolbar to arrange icons.

If you move the toolbar folder off the Desktop, you will lose all your icons.
Ditto if you put it in a containing folder. Just leave it there.

YES! You can do the same for the other empty margins of your Desktop and have four
Quick Launch toolbars that autohide, but are always on top even when you have the screen
full of something else. (I leave the Taskbar up and autohide the other three, but that's up to you.
Now when you get a new shortcut on your Desktop you can just drop it in whichever toobar you want.

To customize the covers of your three remaining desktop items
(I added a fourth-work folder-for balance)
Rt. click,choose "Properties">Customize>Change Icon.
Here you can select one of Windows' lovely preinstalled icons,
or "Browse" your computer for your own images. Photos work.

You now have a Desktop with only three or four customized icons and
nothing else but your beautiful wallpaper AND all your regularly used
Shortcuts are always avaliable in one click.

Merry Christmas to all.
1101doc
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:52 PM

Hmmm....I just might have to give this a try! Nice post too! Love the energy! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:42 PM

Nice tip, 1101doc. Merry Christmas to you too.

I was going to make a new post yesterday but when I saw yours, decided to add my ideas here.

I don't like any icons cluttering my desktop. It is very easy to clear these but still have them all handy by:
Right clicking on an empty part of the desktop>go to Arrange Icons By> and untick Show Desktop Icons. The desktop will now be pristine.
Go down to the Taskbar>right click on an empty portion>go to Toolbars>place a tick against Desktop, and you are done. You will now have little double arrows which will popup all your desktop items when required.

There you are folks - two options for your desktop.

Cheers

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:25 AM

I was going to make a new post yesterday but when I saw yours, decided to add my ideas here.

I don't like any icons cluttering my desktop. It is very easy to clear these but still have them all handy by:
Right clicking on an empty part of the desktop>go to Arrange Icons By> and untick Show Desktop Icons. The desktop will now be pristine.
Go down to the Taskbar>right click on an empty portion>go to Toolbars>place a tick against Desktop, and you are done. You will now have little double arrows which will popup all your desktop items when required.

Cheers

Nice one! Although, at the risk of embarassing myself (ya, like I haven't done that before!), I must say the the "little double arrows" will appear on the right side of the taskbar, just to the left of the systray(where the clock is)....that only took me a minute (or three) to find, as I was looking for an icon in the quick launch area..... :thumbsup: Oops, my fault! :flowers:

Edited by stevealmighty, 07 December 2006 - 07:25 AM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 arcxotek

arcxotek

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 03:21 AM

Thank you very much for this tip. In my opinion it's one of the most useful tips I've seen in a very long time. In the past I messed around with replacing the explorer shell to receive added functionality similar to this when all along I could have followed your simple tips. Once again thank you.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a Happy New Year.

#6 keyteem

keyteem

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:25 PM

just found this very useful tip , thank you .

#7 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:17 PM

Another way to pretty much eliminate your desktop: http://www.candylabs.com/approcket/
The free version is fine, and as long as you hide the main gui, and make a custom search for programs in C:\program files\, you dont even need your start menu! Make sure not to delete folders on your desktop though, that would be bad :thumbsup:

Edited by T, 18 February 2007 - 07:17 PM.

Posted Image

#8 lokkent

lokkent

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:55 PM

Great tip. Works like a charm, and really cleans things up.

Thx

:thumbsup:
Dell XPS410, Intel Core 2 2.13 GHz, 2 GB SDRAM, 256 MB nVidia GeForce, 250 GB Serial ATA HDD, Vista Home Premium, Sound Blaster Audigy LS, 16x CD/DVD Burner, McAfee Security Center, Ad-Aware SE, Boston Digital BA735 Speakers

#9 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:19 PM

Good work guys. Members seem to be really happy including me :thumbsup:.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#10 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:21 AM

This is fabulous. I may have no idea how to use my computer, but it sure looks good.... thanks.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

#11 Joe_Brett

Joe_Brett

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:38 AM

Great Tip mate...

Thanks, Really cleared up my clustered desktop :thumbsup:

Wish i could think of a good tip for everyone :flowers:
B R A D F O R D C I T Y A F C

#12 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for this tip. It is just the best idea.
I was running 2 dock programs (Rocketdock and Objectdock) so I could keep my shortcut icons off the desktop but this is a much better solution.

Good work!
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#13 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:02 PM

Great tip! :thumbsup:

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#14 Globe Roamer Jeff

Globe Roamer Jeff

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:39 AM

All Right !! I like foolin' around so this should keep me entertained for quite some time. Probably end up in the HJT forum looking for someone to sort me out, but I'm gonna give it a go too. :thumbsup:

#15 Betrock

Betrock

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:54 PM

Cheers

That is sooo cool! Thanks!
Best to all,
Betrock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users