Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

/windows/system32/config/system Help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sally in CA

Sally in CA

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 02:39 PM

I restarted my computer and it came up with a black screen which states:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: /WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows set up using the original set up CD rom.

Select "r" at the first screen to start repair.

I know very little about computers and I have no idea what this is telling me to do. Could someone please turn that statement into a step by step set of instructions for me so I know what to do? Please explain all terms.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I really don't want to have to take this to the shop!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:41 PM

Is this a proprietary computer such as a Dell, HP/Compaq or etc. with a restore CD or partition?

Procedures to fix the problem if you have a full version XP CD and not a restore CD.

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 Sally in CA

Sally in CA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:05 PM

As I stated before, I know very little about computers. I can't even figure out what you are talking about. This is a Dell Dimensions computer in our home. It uses Windows XP home edition and that is about all I can tell you. Sorry, I don't understand what "proprietary computer", "restore CD", "partition" or "full version XP" means. You are going to have to bring this way down if you want me to understand. I appreciate your help.

#4 Sally in CA

Sally in CA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:07 PM

Also, I just called the computer shop, and the guy said if I try to repair this myself, I will lose my data. If I am going to lose my data, perhaps I should take it in?

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:12 PM

Also, I just called the computer shop, and the guy said if I try to repair this myself, I will lose my data. If I am going to lose my data, perhaps I should take it in?

I believe that would be in your best interest. If the computer repair person knows what they are doing then it should be quite easy for them to restore your computer doing a non-destructive recovery, thereby saving your data. Googd luck and I hope we can help you for any further problems. :thumbsup:
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:36 PM

The problem in directing you as to what to do and how to respond to what occurs when you do it is that because you are not knowledgeable about the computer you will have an almost impossible time understanding what we tell you and you also will not be able to answer the questions we ask you.

Is this computer still under warranty?

One thing you can try is if you can boot the computer to safe mode (start tapping F8 as soon as the computer is powered on) and then choose the option for "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" (with the up and down arrow keys), you can try a Windows System Restore, which will not cause you to loose data.

To start the System Restore tool at a command prompt:
1.Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2.Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3.Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4.Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/

This may or may not work, but if it doesn't work you have lost nothing.

Beyond that I recommend you take the computer to a qualified technician.

#7 Sally in CA

Sally in CA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:07 PM

Hi, I tried starting it in safe mode like you said, but it told me the same thing, that files were missing or corrupt. I guess I'll have to take it in. Thanks anyway. Sally

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:59 AM

First priority should be to ensure that your data is recovered. Then a restore won't hurt anything and will fix your problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users