Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Likes And Dislikes About Mac's

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: What Is Your Opinion On A Mac? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

What Is Your Opinion On A Mac?

1. They Are Superb (4 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. They Are Really Cool (10 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

3. They Are Ok But I Have Problems (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. They Are A Bit Risky And Im Not Sure About Them (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

5. I Have Never Heard Of Them (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JordanTaylor

JordanTaylor

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:05 AM

Hehe To Tell The Trugh I Think Macs Are Cool And I Like The Software They Have Such As Garage Band, I Dont Own One But My School Has Them For Music And They Are Really Good :thumbsup: Please Add To Poll

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shinobi

Shinobi

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:19 AM

They are much better than they used to be. from os 6 to 10 they really sucked, always crashing and the like. Its really too bad that they had to use Linux as the basis for os x, but oh well. The only reason I will never use one is the same reason I run Linux dual boot and not by itself: I'm a gamer. always will be, so therefor; until all the awsome games are available on a mac, I will use my PC. And don't even think about mentioning VMs. They give me nightmares.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:28 AM

They have interesting commercials.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Nerdnot

Nerdnot

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:38 AM

I like Macs. I am on my second Mac now. I previously had an eMac and extended warranty. Almost 2 years into the warranty something crashed, hard drive or something they couldn't replace quickly at the Mac store. Under warranty they replaced that eMac for free with an iMac two models better (and more expensive!) First time I ever bought an extended warranty for anything and it actually paid off!

With their normal warranty and the extended warranty I have had no problems with tech assist and found them pretty helpful.

I save a lot of stuff to Safari and like the way it works. I also use Firefox for my main browser with duplicate enties on my Toshiba laptop. Toshiba tech assistance was a little more difficult to access than the Mac tech help. Maybe it is because Toshiba has too many things to give tech assist to!

I prefer the Mac word processing program over what's on the Toshiba, maybe it's because I have more experience with Mac's WP. I like Firefox better than IE. The last IE update screwed up my icons and favorites. When I use Firefox I can have a browser that matches on both computers and also on my flash drive that I use overseas.

Mac is easier to use, PC's have more doodads to offer.

#5 gduv

gduv

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:24 PM

:thumbsup:
I'm pretty happy with my IBook, running OS X 10.2.8 . Plans are in works for replacing my Windows 98SE desktop with I-Mac (with Tiger 10.4.8) very soon.
To the person running Firefox on your Mac with Safari : take a look at "Camino", also from Mozilla Foundation. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Firefox( for Mac) and won't accept same extensions but it loads quickly and what it lacks in "fancy" is made up in function. I ran Mozilla Suite, then Firefox, now I'm with Camino as default ; in my (un)humble opinion, a better browser for Mac. Another good browser for Mac, "I-Cab" .

Edited by gduv, 20 January 2007 - 03:25 PM.

Much health and happiness to you and yours.

Apple IBook/ OS X 10.2.8/ Camino 1.03/I-Cab/Safari 1.03/
and a Frog in a Tuxedo

7450 I-Mac, G4/ 1.2 ghrz/1.5gb RAM/ single core/OS X 10.5.8/ Camino/ Neo Office/Seashore/ Bean/ Java update

#6 luciusad2004

luciusad2004

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:15 PM

They are much better than they used to be. from os 6 to 10 they really sucked, always crashing and the like. Its really too bad that they had to use Linux as the basis for os x, but oh well. The only reason I will never use one is the same reason I run Linux dual boot and not by itself: I'm a gamer. always will be, so therefor; until all the awsome games are available on a mac, I will use my PC. And don't even think about mentioning VMs. They give me nightmares.

OS X is unix based. Also, there are a suprising number of games ported over to OS X. Still not as many as Windows, but some of the ones i found include

World of Warcraft
Halo
The Sims 2 (and expansion packs)
Age of Empires II (and AoE III)
Prey
Americas Army
Call of Duty 2
I saw mention of Battle Field

I still agree for the most part however that the game selection sucks, but if you look in to it, there is a lot of good games that get ported over to the Mac platform.

That being said, i STILL wouldn't give up windows for gaming

In my opinion, I prefer OS X as an operating system, but i still use PC's because i can build them myself, and tune them to my liking.

Edit:

As mentioned above, i would also say to check out Camino. I personally, still use Firefox, mostly for the theming, but Camino is a good little browser that integrates well with OS X. I think what i read was its pretty much the same as fire fox but they re-engineered it to use a lot of the OS X technology that most Native OS X apps would use. It also seems to run a bit quicker than Firefox on my g3 Ibook. As far as themes it integrates well with OS X, but its the only option you have.

Edited by luciusad2004, 28 January 2007 - 01:22 PM.

---Computer Science Major---

Sophomore - I'll graduate... someday

#7 Nerdnot

Nerdnot

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 07:47 PM

[quote name='gduv' date='Jan 20 2007, 03:24 PM' post='435135']
:thumbsup:

-----"To the person running Firefox on your Mac with Safari : take a look at "Camino", also from Mozilla Foundation. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Firefox( for Mac) and won't accept same extensions but it loads quickly and what it lacks in "fancy" is made up in function."

I have Camino on my Mac, it's okay. Only thing different than Firefox is that Camino saves addresses and passwords differently. Camino is okay, I use it as an extension of Firefox when I am on my Mac. (I don't save any important passwords, in case someone thinks that, just the routine stuff.)

#8 :O!

:O!

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:21 PM

Im not really sure what to think.

We had a new Mac with OSX a few years ago, we had problems with it CONSTANTLY. With the sound, and it always had viruses.

Im a Windows person. If I would buy ANY mac it would be the Mac Portable or the Macintosh.

http://beos.proboards105.com/

meh forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users