Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Connecting To Site

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Thirtiesbrat

Thirtiesbrat

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:15 AM

I have to restart my computer in order for IE to connect to a web site. After restarting it will connect to web pages for awhile and then after an hour or so when you try to start IE it will go back to the message at the bottom "connecting (numbers)" and then I will get IE can't display the web page. I am using IE6 ( I also tried upgrading to IE7...same problem), I have Windows XP Home and use Verizon DSL.

Thanks,
Kim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:52 AM

Welcome to BC!

You wouldn't happen to be using a Speedstream 5360 modem would you? This is a characteristic of this particular modem (or more accurately a character flaw). Even if you are not using this particular modem, it still sounds like a modem issue to me, however it can have other causes.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Thirtiesbrat

Thirtiesbrat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:27 AM

I have a Westell (I'm at work and don't know the model #). It's new since July and my problem started about three (or more) weeks ago.

Kim

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:05 PM

Try unplugging the power to the modem for a short while to let it reset, try another Cat5 cable from the modem to the PC, unplug any phones, fax machines and etc. from other jacks in the house to see if it's a bad filter or call Verizon's unhelpful tech support and wait patiently for several days.

Verizon Online DSL FAQ

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 05 December 2006 - 12:12 PM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 Thirtiesbrat

Thirtiesbrat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:55 PM

or call Verizon's unhelpful tech support and wait patiently for several days.

Verizon Online DSL FAQ

Boy... are you ever right about Verizon!

I tried the suggestions but am still having the same problem. In the meantime I did notice at the top of the web page while it's trying to connect to my homepage (msn.com) it displays

http://www.microsoft3808.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=iepver=6ar=msn.home-microsoftInternet explorer

I don't know if that is of any help.

Kim

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:39 PM

Try this free browser to see if it has the same problem. If it does, then the problem isn't with your IE - and if it doesn't, then the problem is with your IE.

http://www.mozilla.com/

Let us know and we can proceed from there!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Thirtiesbrat

Thirtiesbrat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:07 PM

Thank you for your response! I have that browser on my computer but I don't use it. I will try that over the next day or so to see if I have the same problem. Thank you for the suggestion.

Kim

#8 Thirtiesbrat

Thirtiesbrat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:07 AM

I tried the other browser (Firefox) with the same results. Any other ideas?

Thank,
Kim

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:50 AM

I would check to see if there is any protection software (antivirus, antispyware, firewall, etc) that may be blocking your access.

Try booting into Safe Mode with Networking support and see if it works there (press F8 repeatedly as the Windows screen first shows up).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Thirtiesbrat

Thirtiesbrat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:00 PM

I have McAfee VirusScan Plus and now that I think about it I believe that's when the problem started. I removed McAfee and downloaded a free antivirus program (Avira AntiVir Personal Edition). I'm hoping that will solve my issue. Do you know if the free program I downloaded is a good one and if not do you know of a better one? I don't want to waste money buying one if that isn't my problem.

Thanks again,
Kim

#11 mattalan

mattalan

• Banned
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:30 PM

I would get AVANT Browser and AVG anti virus/malware its what i use. Also check your Messenger settings.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:09 AM

While I don't have any experience with AntiVir, I do hear that it's a good program. I also use AVG Free.

#13 Thirtiesbrat

Thirtiesbrat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:51 AM

Changing the antivirus program seems to have solved my problem. So far so good. The Avira program seems to be working fine. Thank you for the suggestion that it could be my antivirus program...you guys are great!

Kim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users