Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying "favorites" In Firefox And In Ie

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:24 AM

Ok, I know this may seem a little silly, but I've never done it before: How do I copy the contents of my favorites folders? Alternately, how do I copy my "Bookmarks" contents (FireFox)?

I'm going to be uninstalling FF and upgrading to their latest version, but would like to completely uninstall my current version first (I'm having issues with it right now :flowers:).

I'd also like to be able to "back up" the favorites/bookmarks (IE/FF), so that I could have them elsewhere in case of a BSOD issue, or for when I repair other peoples computers, I can reload their favorites at least. I'd like to know how to save them, then load them back into XP. Also, would this be different for multiple users (wouldn't their be more/different folders containing favorites for each individual user?).

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:46 AM

FOR IE:

Start > My Computer > C: > Documents and Settings

Here you will find a list of users. Inside each user folder is their favorites.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:55 AM

You can safely uninstall Firefox and then install the new version without having to save your bookmarks, since user preferences are stored in a separate file (or "profile") that is not uninstalled.
It is, however, a good idea to have a recent copy of your Ff bookmarks, just in case you need to recover from a computer disaster. Go to Bookmarks/Organize Bookmarks/File/Export to save a file of your Ff bookmarks; the import function is on the same dropdown menu.
For IE (highly recommended if you install IE7), go to the File menu, selected Import and Export to bring up the wizard, then select Export Favorites.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:16 AM

Thank you both for the help! I'll try it out tonight! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:13 AM

Ok, so I downloaded and installed FF2.0....that was to easy!

Now, I know that the favorites for IE are in the "Documents and Settings" folder (then under the user, etc.).....but where are the favorites (bookmarks) for Fire Fox located at?

I've got to uninstall FF at work and I'd like to copy my bookmaks and add them into IE (but I'd like to know what folder they're located in).

Thanks again for the help! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#6 sbrown.uk

sbrown.uk

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:17 PM

FireFox stores your bookmarks as an HTML file,bookmarks.html, under a 'Profile'
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

You can make a backup copy of the bookmark.html file up to wherever you like.

In FF2 click on Bookmarks | Organize Bookmarks | on the resulting window click on File | Export | save to a location of your choice.

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:41 PM

Thanks a lot sbrown.uk! :flowers: It worked great! I saved my bookmarks from FF and then imported them into IE!

Thanks for all the help everyone! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:03 PM

I found a nifty extension that removes all this bookmark synchronizing problem with Firefox.

It's called FoxMarks and is available for free here: http://www.foxmarks.com/

You install the Extension on the first computer (preferably the one with the best set of bookmarks). It'll prompt you to create an account, then once the account is opened it'll synchronize your bookmarks with the account.

Then, as you install it on other computers, it'll prompt you to sync with the online copy.

Then, it sync's itself every minute with the server, and updates every hour.

Also, you can enter a URL to access your bookmarks from computers without FoxMark being installed.

Best of all - it's free!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:46 PM

That sounds neat usasma! If only that were in the freeware replacements for common commercial apps.....*hint*hint* :thumbsup:

Edited by stevealmighty, 08 December 2006 - 12:46 PM.

Posted Image

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:52 PM

Drat!!! I always forget that section! I'm headed over there right now. :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:50 PM

Drat!!! I always forget that section! I'm headed over there right now. :flowers:

LOL! That's ok, I'd forget my head if it weren't attached to my shoulders! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users