Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

\windows\system32\config\system And Other Annoying Problems!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 revolver-ace

revolver-ace

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:45 AM

Hello there,

I have a big problem,
My computer that I work on doesn't boot anymore.
It was working fine one day and refused to boot on the other.

I have a dual-boot system, both with windows XP home edition installed.
The one I usually boot from and work with is located on the D:/ partition
And it won't boot, giving the following error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CDROM
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

Well, I tried doing that, and after I boot from the CD-rom and press the R button
I get into the recovery console,
The problem here is, that it cannot find any of my partitions.
It just acts like they don't exist.

When I boot from the CD and select setup, it shows two empy partitions, which I cannot select, and after a few seconds bluescreenswith the following stop code:

0x0000008e (0x0000005, 0x8081A799, 0xF7CFA778, 0x0000000)

After some searching the web, it seems that stop code is a sign that one of my RAM units is faulty.

BUT!

On my other windows XP partition, it just boots normally, and I can access everything from my D:/ partition

Please someone unravel my mystery so I can continue to work.
Thnx!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:04 AM

Why not do a memtest anyway Klick to be absolutely sure

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:09 AM

My experience has been that 0x8e errors are RAM related, although the owner of this website pointed out to me that his experience has been that 0x8e errors are driver related.
~~~~~~~~

If there are two pieces of RAM you could always remove one and see if this issue persists. If it does, swap the pieces and try again. This would identify which piece of RAM is defective, if any.

If you care to test the memory:

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic
Memtest86

Might be worth checking the hard drive also:

Go to the manufacturer's website and download their disk utility to check the hard drive out:

• Fujitsu "FJDT" DOWNLOAD Works with fujitsu models only.
  • Hitachi / IBM - DFT "Drive Fitness Test" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
  • Maxtor "Powermax" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
  • Samsung "hutil" DOWNLOAD Compatability unknown.
  • Seagate "Seatools" DOWNLOAD Works with Seagate drives only.
  • Toshiba - N/A There are no tools available for Toshiba, but you may be able to use IBM or Maxtor's.
  • Western Digital "Data Lifeguard" DOWNLOAD Works with WD drives only.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 revolver-ace

revolver-ace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:33 AM

Well,

I got a little further,
My RAM and HD were good, just turned out I had to use a disk to load the driver for my HD when booting from the WinXP CD.

So after following the steps from the microfoft support site about how to recover from a corrupt registry, I found another obstacle.

It says in the guide:

1. Start Windows Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder options.
3. Click the View tab.
4. Under Hidden files and folders, click to select Show hidden files and folders, and then click to clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box.
5. Click Yes when the dialog box that confirms that you want to display these files appears.
6. Double-click the drive where you installed Windows XP to display a list of the folders. If is important to click the correct drive.
7. Open the System Volume Information folder. This folder is unavailable and appears dimmed because it is set as a super-hidden folder.

Note This folder contains one or more _restore {GUID} folders such as "_restore{87BD3667-3246-476B-923F-F86E30B3E7F8}".

Note You may receive the following error message:
C:\System Volume Information is not accessible. Access is denied.
If you receive this message, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to gain access to this folder and continue with the procedure:
309531 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531/) How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder
8. Open a folder that was not created at the current time. You may have to click Details on the View menu to see when these folders were created. There may be one or more folders starting with "RPx under this folder. These are restore points.
9. Open one of these folders to locate a Snapshot subfolder. The following path is an example of a folder path to the Snapshot folder:
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D86480E3-73EF-47BC-A0EB-A81BE6EE3ED8}\RP1\Snapshot

Now, I manage to open the folder specified,
but the only subfolders which are not made at today's date contain no snapshot folder and only two files which are not named appropriately,

The only files I can find with that description ARE made on today's date.
But I can't use those, according to the guide.

Now I am very sure that there WERE restore points on my computer, every other day or so,
as I have used them in the past quite frequently.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thnks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users