Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Squared Anti Malware.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 05:54 AM

On my PC I have Comodo Firewall, Avast AntiVirus, SpyBot S&D, AdAware, AVG Anti Spyware, Spyware Blaster and Windows Defender installed and up to date and used regularly. I also use the Windows LiveOneCare link now and then.

Browsing on this site yesterday I got a link to the above mentioned A squared Anti Malware free 30 day trial and downloaded it. I went to install it this morning and during the process I was asked "before continuing turn off all other applications". does this mean to turn off my Firewall, Avast Anti-virus, and all my real time applications such as Windows Defender,SpyBot Tea timer, Start Up monitor and ATI Catalyst Control Centre. I cancelled the installation process until I checked this out.

I run my security checks regular and they tell me my machine is clean. I only wanted to run A Squared as it might pick up on something the others didn't but I am a bit loathe to turn everything off in order for it to run.

My question is should i do as asked or having a relatively clean PC with no immediate problems leave well enough alone?.

Another thing I installed Windows Defender and ran a quick check which found nothing. Now apart from the program icon on my desktop and which I will usually put in my programs folder there is no shortcut on either my desktop or on the taskbar to tell me WD is on my PC. Is this normal and does Windows Defender just run invisibly in the background?.

Thanks aqain in advance for any help,
Bluesjunior.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:01 AM

On my PC I have Comodo Firewall, Avast AntiVirus, SpyBot S&D, AdAware, AVG Anti Spyware, Spyware Blaster and Windows Defender installed and up to date and used regularly. I also use the Windows LiveOneCare link now and then.

In cojunction with regular online scans this is a good enough protection.
If you check this topic under nr.4 you will see a listing of good online scans. I regulary use :

1) Ewido
2) Trend Micro House call
3) Bitdefender
4) Panda

I furthermore installed Ccleaner to get rid of useless files. There is also an option to clean the registry. Do the following :

1) After installing go to options and advanced and tick "prompt for registry backup"
2) Left hand side click on problems and select everything referring to registry
3) It will analyze, when finished it will prompt for doing a backup for the registry. As a default it will store this in the "My Documents "folder.

After that you tick Cleaner and have it run.

I do this every week

Another thing I installed Windows Defender and ran a quick check which found nothing. Now apart from the program icon on my desktop and which I will usually put in my programs folder there is no shortcut on either my desktop or on the taskbar to tell me WD is on my PC. Is this normal and does Windows Defender just run invisibly in the background?.

In WD under Toolsw options did you tick "real time protection"?

Browsing on this site yesterday I got a link to the above mentioned A squared Anti Malware free 30 day trial and downloaded it. I went to install it this morning and during the process I was asked "before continuing turn off all other applications". does this mean to turn off my Firewall, Avast Anti-virus, and all my real time applications such as Windows Defender,SpyBot Tea timer, Start Up monitor and ATI Catalyst Control Centre. I cancelled the installation process until I checked this out.

Running 2 virus scanners at the same time causes more problems, especially when you have the real time protection on.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:11 AM

Thanks for the advice Fozzie. I downloaded,installed and ran Ccleaner as per your instruction.
Bluesjunior.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:15 AM

Just an added note about closing applications during installation. Many instructions indicate that you should to turn off other applications; this is to provide enough free memory to assure a clean installation. Unless the file is extremely large and is a complex application, it will be enough to close all browser windows, any office applications, IMs, players etc., before installing.
You should always keep your Anti-Virus and firewall running during any installation.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for that jgweed. I had a feeling that might be the case and glad that you have confirmed it for me.
Bluesjunior.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users