Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:28 AM

if i leave my computer on for a long time it will start to freeze then it will work then it will just freeeze and i can only get it to start working by restarting. anyone know why this is? :thumbsup:
-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:41 AM

In order to diagnose the cause a lot more information will be necessary.

When you say the system "freezes", do you mean the cursor won't move or turns into the "hourglass" sign and then resumes working after a period of time?

We need to know the specifications of your computer - the processor, how much ram is installed, how much memory your video adapter takes from the system, and what programs do you have set on the startup menu to run when Windows starts and then run in the background.

Is this problem something new that has recently begun, or has your computer always done this since it was new?
Have you added or changed any hardware or software recently or changed any system settings?

#3 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:32 AM

In order to diagnose the cause a lot more information will be necessary.

When you say the system "freezes", do you mean the cursor won't move or turns into the "hourglass" sign and then resumes working after a period of time?

We need to know the specifications of your computer - the processor, how much ram is installed, how much memory your video adapter takes from the system, and what programs do you have set on the startup menu to run when Windows starts and then run in the background.

Is this problem something new that has recently begun, or has your computer always done this since it was new?
Have you added or changed any hardware or software recently or changed any system settings?

um ok i will tell you what i can-
when i say freeze i mean the cursor can move, but i cant click on anything. this has just started happening. i have an 80 gig hd and it says that it has an intel inside celeron. i today i added an mp3 player program to my desktop, but i dont think i need it anymore so i am going to delete it. and i dont know how to check to see what comes up during start up, but i think its just a firewall and a virus shield :thumbsup: .

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:37 AM

If this problem just began today, do as you said and uninstall the MP3 player, then do a Windows System Restore.

To access System Restore, click start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

Choose a date from before you installed the MP3 player (from before the problem began).

Reboot.

Then, using Internet Explorer only, go to Windows One Care live safety scan and do a full scan.

Windows One Care Free Scan

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan (using Windows Explorer only)
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download the Active X components.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

Reboot after it completes.

Do you still have the problem?

#5 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:40 PM

Why use a restore? I'd bet all this PC needs is a defrag. I have started Defragging after every big install, and my comuter thanks me for it.
Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:09 PM

The reason for suggesting the restore is that the computer did not malfunction before the install of the MP3 player which leads me to believe that the problem has something to do with that. The System Restore will reset the system state back to a previously working condition.

Performing the One Care scan will then clean the temp files, delete orphaned registry entries (including anything that might be left as a residual of installing and then removing the MP3 software that initiated the problem) and defrag the hard drive if it is over 10% fragmented.

#7 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:54 AM

I agree with Enthusiast. Uninstalling programs doesn't always clean-up the "leftovers" that tend to hang around. Doing the restore will also help rule out the MP3 program by going back to an enviroment before its existence.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#8 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:40 PM

i still have the problem. :thumbsup: it even freezes when i go online. then it says "this page could not be displayed". but it only happens sometimes because im online now. and it doesnt just happen if i i go to one site either. i think i need the new mp3 program. its called gigabeat room and it allows me to transfer cd's on to my mp3 player.

#9 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:51 PM

hello?

#10 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:16 AM

Upgrade it.

GIGABEAT ROOM NOT WORKING
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#11 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:55 PM

why would i need to upgrade it? im not worried about the gigabeat room im worried about my computer freezing :thumbsup:

#12 Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:56 PM

It sounds like there is a process running in the background that needs to be shut off. It could be a virus/malware, could be a corruption. If you can get the system to boot to safe mode/ SM with networking with no freezing, then your equipment is fine and you're looking at a software issue.
try this:
Start>run> type in msconfig and click 'ok'. The System configuration Utility will come up. select the 'Startup' tab, click on 'disable all' then 'Apply'. Then select the 'Services' tab, click on 'Hide all Microsoft Services' THEN 'disable all', 'Apply', close and restart. If you get no freezing, then you should turn on the services and reboot again. If still no freeze, then check half of the startups and reboot until you find the culprit and reinstall the app it is a part of. if it still freezes after you found the correct application, find an update for it on the web, OR update all the drivers it will use (audio, video, network) from your OEM website (HP, Dell...)
After that, learn how to use Event Viewer to look at the logs. let me know what you run into

#13 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:34 PM

but the computer only sometimes freezes. so will the safe mode thing still work? :thumbsup:

#14 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:06 AM

why would i need to upgrade it? im not worried about the gigabeat room im worried about my computer freezing :thumbsup:

The cause is due to a buggy version of Gigabeat. The upgrade stops the freezing. Of course one would only know that if they bothered to click on a link supplied.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#15 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:52 PM

why would i need to upgrade it? im not worried about the gigabeat room im worried about my computer freezing :flowers:

The cause is due to a buggy version of Gigabeat. The upgrade stops the freezing. Of course one would only know that if they bothered to click on a link supplied.

i had this problem before gigabeat was even on my computer :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users