Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata Compatible?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:41 PM

Hello all,

Can anyone tell how I can determine if I can successfully install a SATA hard drive on my system without opening it up???

Thanks for all your advice,

Darren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:50 PM

Do you have a spare PCI slot? If so, you could always install a SATA expansion card, even if your mobo does not have SATA support currently.

Is that what you mean?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:36 PM

yes...thank you for your reply...will there be any difference in speed or performance compared with if the drive was plugged directly into the mobo...also how much should I expect to pay for an expansion SATA card? Lastly will there be any bios updates required to make such an upgrade possible?

Although it was not in my initial post, if I did open the shell to look at the mobo, I believe I need to find a more modern, thinner port on the mobo to which the drive is attached but where would this be found? I am sure you will be asking the brand of mobo which is VIA Technologies model P4M266A...

Thanks so much for your time and thank you to all others in advance who provide their valuable input on this topic.

Darren

#4 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:40 PM

I found this site SATA which may be of great help to other clueless browsers like me...thanks again all of you I look forward to your inputs...

Darren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users