Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Programs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bazzi

bazzi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:05 PM

Have been having problem recently with long logon process when starting pc and I think it possibly could be too many programs starting up.
Went to Google ( my favorite web site) and found your site. Aha, the answer to my problems.
ccApp is listed in my startup and your explanation showed it to be either a worm or part of Norton Antivirus 2003 and said that their autoprotect and email check required it. WELL, I had NAV 2003 in 2003. I now have NAV2007 installed, so can I uncheck this?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:35 PM

Hello and welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

ccApp is probably from your Norton software, but it all depends on where it is located on your computer. It is possible that it is malicious. And if you were to say that you never had Norton on your machine, I would tend to lean towards the malicious. But from what you have said so far it is certainly plausable and even probable that it is from Norton. The only way to know for sure, like I said earlier, is to know that file's location on your computer, and whether you have more than one file of that same name on your computer.

You can turn off unneeded programs by going to : Start > Run > type msconfig > OK > Startup tab

Here you will see a list of programs that start automatically when you boot your computer. But most average computer users find this list cryptic and confusing at best. Another method you can use is downloading a running a little free program called Startup Inspector. This lists the programs found in msconfig > Startup in more laymen's terms, and even rates the programs for you, in terms of whether they are absolutely needed or not.

As a rule, software updaters can be turned off without many ill effects.

You can download Startup Inspector from here: http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

There is another side of this equation, however. And that has to do with the amount of RAM your computer has on it. You see, when a program opens up, it opens up into your RAM memory. Everything runs in RAM, from Windows itself, to Norton, to you name it - all of it. If you do not have much RAM then you will see poor performance from your computer such as slow startup times, slow response times to your commands, etc.

Go to: Start > right click on My Computer > Properties to see how much RAM you have installed. I recommend at least 512 MB for the average home user. Although it is possible to get fair performance from and XP machine with 256 MB of RAM, it is becoming rare, as Antivirus and Antispyware and Firewalls and many other programs are run resident now. 512 MB is usually enough, but perhaps even more will be needed.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 bazzi

bazzi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:39 PM

Thank you most efficient replier! I will download Inspector site AND I have 768 MB ram so there shouldn't be any problem there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users