Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Christmas List, Help Needed!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:57 PM

I have had this dell computer for about 1-1/4 years now and its just not cutting it. No AGP or PCIe slots, a P4 processor, and 512mb DDR ram. I would like to at least play games such as warrock without having to set the graphics all to low, 800x600 resolution, and then still lag :flowers: .

So, from what I have decided, I think I would like to just get a new motherboard, processor, and more ram. My family is not really that rich or anything, but I still get a few hundred dollars worth of spending plus presents from relatives (which I hope will be money :trumpet: ). I also have a few hundred dollars saved up from doing yard work and odd jobs this summer that I am willing to spend. I plan on just getting the bare necessities for now and perhaps during my birthday (in mid February) to finish it off with a good graphics card and maybe a bit more ram.

Here's what I am looking for,

Motherboard specs:
-4 ram slots (I think I'll get all new ram so DDR2 compatibility is fine)
-At least one PCIex16 slot, I don't really care if it has two
-Have an IDE connection for the hard drive because I would like to still use mine for now.
-Integrated graphics, but maybe if the board is real nice without it I could get an alright graphics card to use for a while.
-Processor slot 775

For the processor I think I will just get a Pentium D, and eventually upgrade it. I saw this one that looks good and the price is good. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819116254 My processor now only has 2.8Ghz and a 1MB cache, would this be much of an improvement?

I will be looking around a bit on newegg and maybe tigerdirect for some motherboards that look good. Sorry for such a long post but I am looking for some idea's if anyone is willing to help :thumbsup: . Thanks for at least taking the time to read this!

Edited by Sterling14, 04 December 2006 - 03:59 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:20 PM

Is this motherboard any good? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813128015

I am willing to go a bit more expensive if it will be a better one.Now I will also need a graphics card lol, if anyone can give suggestions on maybe one around 150$ or less I would really appreciate it, thanks!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:59 PM

If graphics are what you are after, then I would start with that. Look for the right graphics card first, then look for the mobo.

How do you know what graphics card is the right one? Check with the requirements for the games you want to play. At least meet those requirements.

And again, once the graphics card is found, you can find the right mobo and type and amount of RAM for it. Beside the mobo and RAM are probably the cheaper of the three components you need. So, splurge on the graphics card and spend the left over money on Mobo and RAM.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:44 PM

You may need a power supply. Becuase a stock P4 Dell power supply probably can't hold on to a 775, PCI-E.
Now.. Foxconn is a newer company that not many people can trust like EVGA or ASUS. But I've got a Foxconn socket am2 pci-e motherboard that is amazing. I'd try for a Foxconn if I were you.
I've also heard good things about the intel-made motherboards. Try looking at this one
and This graphics card is amazing at the price. I know someone with it. It flies past the 7600, my friend's X800 GTO, and my old 6800 GS.
Also, since you're getting a newer baord, it'll most likely have DDR2 800. So, for you, I'd look for 2 512mb dual channel sticks. These aren't bad for a cheap set.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah I guess I should of looked for a graphics card first :thumbsup: duh moment lol. I was looking at the same thing of ram too because of the price. The motherboard looks good to but i'm going to still look around a bit more. Also that graphics card looks nice and has the features for games that I've tried but couldn't play.

This computer only has a 250w power supply and pretty much all of it is being used. So I decided I'm going to build a whole new computer except keep my hard drive so i don't have to pay 100 bucks or w/e the price is for another windows xp disc. There is a deal with the case that I want for 10$ off a 400w power supply. Would that be enough? Thanks again for the help!

#6 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:38 PM

It may be.
But there is a good chance that you'll need more. Just to be safe..try to look for a new power supply. If not, you'll have to be careful

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:28 PM

Cases that include a PSU are notorious for having cheap PSUs, this is probably the one place in your build that you don't want to go cheap on. A larger PSU than is needed never hurts and will allow for future additions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:49 AM

Try to get a good PSU, I like Antec, but I've heard Thermaltake is good too. You get what you pay for.
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:52 AM

so i don't have to pay 100 bucks or w/e the price is for another windows xp disc.

There may be a problem with this idea, in that, depending upon which version of Windows you have, you may not be able to transfer this instance of Windows to another computer. It may legally have been licensed for one computer and one computer only. This is true if it is a OEM version. You can tell if it is an OEM version by going to: Start > right click on My Computer > Properties and about half way down the window that comes up (General tab) wll be a series of numbers. If the letters OEM appear in the middle of series of numbers, well then it is an OEM version.

Micro$oft considers a new motherboard a new computer. Yes, you read that correctly.

However, that being said, it MAY work, but it may require activation again, and perhaps not activate, meaning after 30 days you will have limited functionality and will have to purchase another license.

Just thought I would point that out. Sorry about that news.

EDIT: Again, start with your video card. Look carefully at the specs and requirements for the video card. It may have a minimum power requirement, make sure your power supply meets it. Don't guess here.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 05 December 2006 - 07:53 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#10 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:53 AM

Ok well this is let me say this is sort of like Alpha version of my project. All this for 582$ plus shipping which is like $30. Please tell me if everything is compatible, thanks.

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813135022

Optical Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16827106013

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811208009

Graphics: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814150130

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817138002 (ya its kind of cheesy)

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820161067 (ya this is pretty cheesy also lol)

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819116254

Oh and before I forget I remember one of the reviews saying there is no SLI support for the motherboard? Is this true? Then why is there two PCIex16 slots?

Ya it says OEM in there, I was very unaware of this :thumbsup: Well anyways I'll give it a shot and I can still buy a new hard drive. Also by then windows vista might be out so I'll get that.

Edited by Sterling14, 05 December 2006 - 07:58 AM.

#11 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:55 AM

Edit your reply and put a space between Optical Drive: and http: and the link will work!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#12 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:59 AM

lol sorry about that i just realized it.

#13 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:32 AM

I'd take a look at this 6800GS. For $10 more, it's got 4 more pipelines and the core clock is 100mhz faster. I think that this would be a little faster than the one that you have picked out, and it's only $10 more.

I wouldn't skimp on your PSU either....I've learned that the hard way! Getting a cheap PSU is like asking for problems. This PSU HERE is about as cheap as I'd go.

Everything else seems to be ok, but I'd do some more research on the Graphics card and on the PSU too. The only thing I would not get in the parts you've listed is the PSU. I got a cheap PSU once...ended up replacing it because even though it was 400W, and listed that it had enough amps to run my card, it wouldn't run my system.

Hope it helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#14 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:36 PM

Ok that power supply sounds great, but I was wondering whats the difference in the main connector if its 24 pin or 20+4 pin? They looks pretty much the same to me. Also that graphics card looks nice and has a lot of features. I might consider getting that. Thanks again for the help guys.

#15 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:26 PM

20+4 pin can have 4 pins disconnected off of it so it can connect to 20 pin also.
The motherboard has the pin slot. Your motherboard is 24 pin.

Edited by Archer-of-Death, 05 December 2006 - 04:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users