Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sinding

sinding

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:33 PM

Can anyone help in finding the problem with my computer? It freezes at random. The memory has been fully checked and found ok. I have enough for the things I do with the machine (768 meg). I cannot think what might be causing it. Windows 2000pro has been installed and reinstalled 3 times but the freezing still occurs even sometimes on bootup. I have tried 5 times to visit the motherboard site (Asus) but each time it freezes almost straight away. I have no viruses or dodgy programs on board. I can rarely read more than a couple of Emails without a lockup. I am coming to the conclusion that it is a motherboard problem but I could be wrong. I visited the microsoft knowledge base but every example had a definite cause, mine doesn't, I would be most grateful if someone could help.
Eddy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 03:32 AM

Is there abnomal high CPU usage in your task manager?
Which Anti-virus do you have?

#3 sinding

sinding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 02:07 PM

Thank's for answering. I use AVG antivirus and keep it up to date. How do I check for abnormal CPU operation? It seems either a CPU or motherboard issue everything else has been replaced.
eddy

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:10 AM

Try a memory test, Mem86 Stand alone memory test. A bad memory module will product these results.
Also check you Event Viewer in the Administrative Tools. See if you have a error message or two.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:57 AM

What are the voltage readings, especially the 3.5 rail? You can either view these in the BIOS, or you can download Everest Home Edition, it is free and can be downloaded here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users