Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Disconnects And Computer Crashes

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gypsyking

gypsyking

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:07 PM

Hi,
I've had this very frustrating problem for a while now. Basically, when I turn on my computer, the internet works fine, and I can browse for a while. Then, randomly, I can not browse pages on either Mozilla, Firefox, or IE6. Sometimes, I can view only vertain pages and others will not load or just load a portion of the page (usually the tops banners) and other times I just lose all browsing functionality. Download and Instant Messaging will still work during this time. To add to it, when my browsers lock up like this I am afraid now to close the browsers because doing so will result in a very quick bluescreen (can't see what it says b/c its just a flash) and a reboot. Actually, this has even happened when I was able to browse and I closed a window while it was pulling up a page.

I had this problem when connected via cable to a MaxGate router, and when connected directly to my DSL box. I bought a new LinkSys wireless router and wireless PCI card, and the same problem happens. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:12 PM

The big clue resides with the blue screen. Go to:

Start > right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery Settings

Uncheck Automatically Restart

Click Apply and then OK

Now when you receive a blue screen the computer will pause on it and you will have to reboot manually.

The 'Blue Screen of Death' (or BSOD) is refered to by Microsoft as a Stop Message. They can occur for many reasons. In order to diagnose it's cause we need as much info as you can give about the stop message. Please write it down and post it back here the next time it happens. In particular, it helps to have the somewhat cryptic series of numbers about half way down the blue screen that have this sort of format:

0x0000008E (Followed by four other sets of numbers in parenthesis.)

It is also helpful to know the answers to these questions:
  • What are you doing when this happens (are you on line, starting the computer, etc).
  • Does it always happen at the same time?
  • Is it always the same message, or is it a different set of numbers each time?
  • Have you added any hardware or software lately?
  • Are you experiencing any other buggy behavior from this computer (such as it runs slower than it used to, etc)?

I had this problem when connected via cable to a MaxGate router, and when connected directly to my DSL box. I bought a new LinkSys wireless router and wireless PCI card, and the same problem happens.

Not related to your router or modem. This is an issue with your computer. Possibly malicious software, but could have other causes as well. Please give us the message on the blue screen and we can go from there!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:12 PM

(This only refers to the internet webpages problem)
Usually this is caused by a problem within the software of your pc (software being that which Renders the images from the modem) I would suggest you try to repair it from inside the pc

START> control pannel > Network settings.

Rightclick on the problem connection (IE the DSL line in LAN) and click repair, it will disable the connection for a short while and should fix your problem

Edited by DemonSui, 04 December 2006 - 12:46 PM.

Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#4 gypsyking

gypsyking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:28 PM

Ok, thanks! I will try both of these solutions when I get home today and give as detailed a response as possible.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:42 PM

Also, try this free, online scan to check for problems: http://safety.live.com/ Choose the "Full Service Scan"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 gypsyking

gypsyking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:12 PM

Ok, I made the reboot change and was able to record the bluescreen:

" A problem has occured and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000014, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x80504F15)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

And that's it. I can't remember what I had installed just prior to this happening, since it has been a while, but I do know my Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 card is not working properly. I have sound on my computer, but the rear speakers wont work, only the front left right and center. The Creative Diagnostics fail to detect the card, but the system detects it in Device Manager. I can't install any drivers, which is odd, because it says it can't find a creative product on my system. And the PCI slot is not faulty, as I've tried the card in another. Maybe this problem is unrelated, but maybe it is and I never realized it?

#7 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:20 PM

This error most of the time indicates hardware which is not on the HCL. Please your hardware versus the listings on that page.

#8 gypsyking

gypsyking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:55 AM

The big clue resides with the blue screen. Go to:

Start > right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery Settings

Uncheck Automatically Restart

Click Apply and then OK

Now when you receive a blue screen the computer will pause on it and you will have to reboot manually.

The 'Blue Screen of Death' (or BSOD) is refered to by Microsoft as a Stop Message. They can occur for many reasons. In order to diagnose it's cause we need as much info as you can give about the stop message. Please write it down and post it back here the next time it happens. In particular, it helps to have the somewhat cryptic series of numbers about half way down the blue screen that have this sort of format:

0x0000008E (Followed by four other sets of numbers in parenthesis.)

It is also helpful to know the answers to these questions:
  • What are you doing when this happens (are you on line, starting the computer, etc).
  • Does it always happen at the same time?
  • Is it always the same message, or is it a different set of numbers each time?
  • Have you added any hardware or software lately?
  • Are you experiencing any other buggy behavior from this computer (such as it runs slower than it used to, etc)?

I had this problem when connected via cable to a MaxGate router, and when connected directly to my DSL box. I bought a new LinkSys wireless router and wireless PCI card, and the same problem happens.

Not related to your router or modem. This is an issue with your computer. Possibly malicious software, but could have other causes as well. Please give us the message on the blue screen and we can go from there!

I removed the faulty sound card, but I still get the crashing, with or without the card. The slow downs stil happen too.

#9 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:55 AM

Troubleshooting a Stop 0x0000000A error in Windows XP
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#10 Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:20 PM

Gypsy-

The 0xA is a DRIVER failure.

reboot to Safe Mode, see if there are any driver "bangs" for your hardware, (red 'X' or yellow '!') and reinstall it.

***THERE ARE ALSO SOFTWARE DRIVERS***

here's a pro trick: in Safe Mode, right click on MY Computer, select Manage, click on the '+' by Event Viewer, click on 'System' on the left hand tree. On the right, find the date and time of the crash. There will be a log called 'Save Dump'. That's your crash. it may not give you enough details of the cause, but look at the logs just before that in time. there will be 2 Event logs for the boot then, the system will write the Save Dump into a minidump file after the system boots up. the cause is before those two logs. besure to look at the time and look at the Application logs. I'll bet the last log just before the crash will point to the failure.

Microsoft.com also has an online crash analysis tool. type in OCA on their home page search box and follow the instructions.

Let me know how that worked. There is another tool that's much more accurate, but it takes a few hours to learn how to use.

#11 gypsyking

gypsyking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:03 AM

Thank you very much! Haven't had time to make any changes yet, as I've been studying ffor finals, but I will check this out as soon later today.

#12 gypsyking

gypsyking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:54 AM

So I just looked in Computer Management, and the only things I could find in Event Viewer>System is was about 4 logs about 20 seconds prior to shut down called Application Popup and had this description :

http://www.microsoft.com/products/ee/trans...ation&LCID=

There are never any Application operations that precede the Save Dump. The only other thing that happens in close proximity to the Save Dump is that my TCIP connects. The reboots always happen when a browser window get closed, even when during normal shutdown.

One more thing, I did find an unknown device in the device manager, and I uninstalled it. Can't figure out what hardware it was though...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users