Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Boot From Recovery Cds

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ironphil

ironphil

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:21 AM

I have an emachines 330, I want to recover from the recovery cds, but when i put the cd in and boot, the system loads from the hard disk although the bios setup says boot from cd first.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:18 AM

As I recall, there's a prompt in the upper part of the screen (during boot) that says something like "Press F11 for System Recovery" - have you done that?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ironphil

ironphil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:34 AM

Its supposed to automatically give a prompt with 2 options (1. Restore, 2. gtot command prompt), the cd light comes on but then the machine just boots to windows as normal.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:51 AM

Can you view the BIOS startup screen? Is the CD drive visible on it? If not, the drive may be dead.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ironphil

ironphil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:20 AM

I can see the drive in the bios. I can read the recovery cd when xp has loaded. The cd drive is clearly working. I think the recovery disk is like a system image?

#6 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:51 AM

Emachines PCs come with hard restore discs. (I.E. they erase everything) I Personally have a T2240, so this much I know
Command prompt won't help you either, because it's from 98-ME, unable to read or write to NTFS partions. if you are having Boot problems you need to find a boot disc to jump into XP from, and fix these files once you get inside, or use your hard drive as a slave drive to another computer, and attempt a repair that way

Edited by DemonSui, 04 December 2006 - 11:52 AM.

Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:40 PM

As I recall, the eMachines recovery is like a image. Recently we were able to downgrade a computer to XPHome (from Media Center) by taking advantage of this (it copied the i386 directory from the recovery CD to the recovery partition).

Did you press the selection for Restore? And it still didn't boot from it? Did you insert the correct CD?

#8 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:03 PM

most Emachines come with 2 discs, the XP part itself, and the drivers. as far as I know, there is no way to load a recovery "partion" from these CDs the only option is a hard restore. and it will start from either CD
Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users