This weekend I was tinkering with the computer and found that the version or my Netgear WG311T Smart Wizard was very out of date compared to the utilities versions listed on Neatgear's site. So I decided I would update the version from 220.127.116.11 to 4.3 final. And that lead to 2 days of totally psychotic computer problems.
I will do my best to explain in detail, forgive me if I leave anything out.
I followed the guide from netgear to the letter. Uninstalled version 2.24. Turned off the computer, pulled the plug, pulled the adapter out, restarted the computer, installed the utility 4.3, turned off computer, pulled plug, installed adapter, turned computer back on...
It took the system nearly 5 minutes to load up. cntl + alt + del to see what's going on. under performance I find that the cpu is pegged at 100%.
I go back now that the hourglass is done and go to open Netgear smart wizard.. It acts like it's opening, but then stops. Utility doesn't seem to be installed. Go to devide manager to search for it and it shows its there. Nothing in tray, no way to open it. Looked in programs folder in Netgear folder and see no apps listed.
Restart to see what happens... System takes about 4 minutes to load and just when I think it's done, I get a black screen for about 20 seconds, then everything looks fine. But still no smart wizard,
I uninstall everything Netgear and reinstall original utility. Everything works fine. CPU is at about 2%-12%. I have internet access no problems...
So I repeat the process once again. and get the same results - CPU jumps to 100% - no joy.
rinse and retreat to version 2.24 - everything works fine.
I don't understand...
Edited by -thedude-, 04 December 2006 - 02:47 AM.