Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netgear Wg311t Smart Wizard

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 -thedude-

-thedude-

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:01 AM

Hello,

This weekend I was tinkering with the computer and found that the version or my Netgear WG311T Smart Wizard was very out of date compared to the utilities versions listed on Neatgear's site. So I decided I would update the version from 2.24.21.5 to 4.3 final. And that lead to 2 days of totally psychotic computer problems.

I will do my best to explain in detail, forgive me if I leave anything out.

I followed the guide from netgear to the letter. Uninstalled version 2.24. Turned off the computer, pulled the plug, pulled the adapter out, restarted the computer, installed the utility 4.3, turned off computer, pulled plug, installed adapter, turned computer back on...

It took the system nearly 5 minutes to load up. cntl + alt + del to see what's going on. under performance I find that the cpu is pegged at 100%.

I go back now that the hourglass is done and go to open Netgear smart wizard.. It acts like it's opening, but then stops. Utility doesn't seem to be installed. Go to devide manager to search for it and it shows its there. Nothing in tray, no way to open it. Looked in programs folder in Netgear folder and see no apps listed.

Restart to see what happens... System takes about 4 minutes to load and just when I think it's done, I get a black screen for about 20 seconds, then everything looks fine. But still no smart wizard,

I uninstall everything Netgear and reinstall original utility. Everything works fine. CPU is at about 2%-12%. I have internet access no problems...

So I repeat the process once again. and get the same results - CPU jumps to 100% - no joy.

rinse and retreat to version 2.24 - everything works fine.

I don't understand...

sc

Edited by -thedude-, 04 December 2006 - 02:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:12 AM

I've generally seen that there isn't a way to upgrade between revisions (not versions) on NetGear equipment. I'd suspect that this same reason would apply to the software.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 -thedude-

-thedude-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:38 PM

Arrgh..

Seems like I'm stuck with the original one then. I tried others and they all cause problems. The issue that I see now is that the older one is slowing my wireless speeds down. What should be up near 54Mbps is at 18Mbps

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:46 PM

I don't know if what you've done is try and flash the router with the version software - or if you've just updated software.

The flash would probably make your router very unstable and would probably ruin the router. On the other hand a software update would just require an uninstallation and then an installation of the proper software.

FWIW - none of my NetGear routers (3 of them) have needed the Smart Wizard to achieve connectivity. The easiest check would be to borrow a router to see if the router is the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users