Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:35 AM

I've fairly recently bought an X700. It was cheap, had very low power requirements and generaly actually had good performance. ( Here's link, IE7's dumb with hyper links. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...974&CatId=0 )

I guess I've had it for about 2 months. But the fan is starting to make an annoying whirrling noise like it's just slightly brushing up against something. Any advice? I was planning on keeping it untill next summer when I got some money and maybe seeing what ATi and nVidia both have to offer for DX10 around then.

Know any cheap aftermarket heatsink/fans that would work for an X700?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:22 PM

Sounds like a bearing is going.

There are a lot of HSFs for graphics cards out there in the sub $20 price-range. Arctic Cooling has HSFs for many models.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:27 PM

Thanks, do you happen to know if they ship to Canada?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:50 PM

I guess I've had it for about 2 months.

Have you spoken to Tiger Direct about replacing the card for you? It seems it should be under warranty.

Just a thought...

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:49 PM

It seems to be working okay, but a little warmer and my rooms fairly cold with cold air coming in a bit?

Warranty, I think is only from manufactuer. But if the fan dies I'll call up Gecube and see how nice they are and it not I'll search out one of those Arctic coolers, as they look good.

#6 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:42 PM

Sorry for double posting! The "edit" botton seems to be missing.

I fixed it, I took out the tiny screws holding the fan in place and tighten them hard with an electric screwdriver and it's much better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users