Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Right Click Doesn't Work

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Tailsoffoulaim

Tailsoffoulaim

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:33 AM

Hey!! It's weird.. my right click doesn't work on my Desktop. Everytime I click it, nothing happens.. though when I right click on Firefox, or iTunes, it works. Any ideas how to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:11 AM

What have you added to your system recently? Have you done any antivirus or antispyware scans? Have you tried System Restore?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:39 AM

See if this fixes it.

Enable Right Click Context Menu (Line 56)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

I agree that you should scan for malware. Have you downloaded any themes from third party sources?
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#4 Tailsoffoulaim

Tailsoffoulaim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:47 PM

Well, I run Ad-Aware and Spybot every day. Ad-aware hasn't had anything pop up-recently.. and I always get tracking cookies popping up on Spybot.. Though.. my right click did stop working after deleting some spyware wit Hijack this.. I may have accidently deleted something I needed..

And.. for the second comment.. I clicked the link to enable right click and it only sent me to a page with numbers in it, didn't download anything.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:13 PM

I'm assuming, these are the "numbers" you saw.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
"NoViewContextMenu"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoViewContextMenu"=dword:00000000

"NoSetTaskbar"=dword:00000000

"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

Open up Notepad.
Copy eveything inside the Code box above, and Paste it into Notepad.
Then click File, and select Save as....
In the File name: box, name it Enable Rt Click.reg
In the Save as type: box, click the dropdown arrow, and select All files.
Save it to your Desktop.
Locate the file on your Desktop, double click it, and answer Yes to the import prompt.

Edited by tg1911, 04 December 2006 - 06:18 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Tailsoffoulaim

Tailsoffoulaim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:16 PM

Well..I followed all the steps.. and when I double clicked the file, no prompt came up, just the copied note. I must be missing a step. I saved everything on the desketp, clicked all files, and named it exactly as specified. Anything?

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:56 PM

Did you make sure that you copied this line?

Did you make sure that there was no space between that line and the top of the Notepad screen?

If you answered yes to both those questions, then replace

with

REGEDIT4

in the directions already provided.

When you click on the file to open it, you should get the question: Merge with Registry? Click yes.

Note: Make sure to back up your registry first.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 Tailsoffoulaim

Tailsoffoulaim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:06 AM

Tried again, with new directions. Still no dice. I'm saving it as the default ANSI, is that wrong?

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:12 AM

If right clicking doesn't open any window on your desktop but right clicking opens windows on pages, sites, etc. then it may not be your mouse control that is corrupted. Just food for thought.

Is there any chance that you can reverse the changes you made with Hijack This. It does do backups. Have you tried a system restore?

Edited by buddy215, 05 December 2006 - 12:15 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:14 AM

Definitely not right.

Okay now:

1) Copy and paste the text exactly as tg1911 gave it to you and make sure there is no space between the top of the Notepad screen and the first line of text.

2) As in the instructions in post #5

In the Save as type: box, click the dropdown arrow, and select All files.

3) Continue following the directions in post #5

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:31 AM

Before you completely hose your registry, I suggest that you use Windows System Restore to return your computer's system state to an operating condition.

To access System Restore
Click start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore
Choose a date that precedes the date you used Hijack This
Follow the directions on-screen.

I strongly suggest that in the future you do not use any third party registry cleaners or programs that alter or change the registry unless being actively supervised by someone expert at the registry.

The one exception to that is the following:
The only program that cleans or alters the registry that is safe for non-experts to use is the Windows One Care Free Scan

To access the Windows Live Onecare Free Scan (using Windows Explorer only)
Go to the following site:
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download the Active X components.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

It is safe because, unlike all third party programs, it does not rely on any knowledge or input from you to work. It was specifically designed by Microsoft to work with the XP operating system they wrote and they are certainly the best source for knowledge about their system.

For the same reason I recommend that you NEVER try to use Hijack This by yourself. Even a slight mistake using this program can hose your op system beyond repair. If your system is infected and the use of Hijack This is appropriate, so would be seeking expert help and assistance to use it as you would get by posting your HJT log here in our HJT logs and analysis forum.

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 December 2006 - 12:33 AM.

#12 Tailsoffoulaim

Tailsoffoulaim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:13 AM

Yea, I pasted everything exactly how it is.. I have absolutely no clue why it wouldn't work. The free scan found nothing, nor fixed anything. My only option is a system restore, but This has been going on for about a month so I need to figure out how far to go back... Lame. ='(

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:59 AM

Try a month and see if it works, if not, then try earlier.

Another option is a repair install of XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 Tailsoffoulaim

Tailsoffoulaim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:59 PM

Well.. it appears Windows Restore is off.. well has been off. Well, at leas that is what it's telling me.. meaning I can't go back anywhere.

Lame, I guess I can try reinstalling windows.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:07 PM

Try the repair install first, it'll restore Windows and will leave your programs and data intact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users