Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NormanXuminZhu

NormanXuminZhu

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:51 PM

Weird Text and Window Distortion Problem.

I have a weird problem and it may or may not be a virus, though it probably is. The windows and texts often get distorted, such as when i open up task manager sometimes, it's as if it was extended very very long, and the buttons and everything are missing, and when I open folders, after the first letter for the names on everything it's continued with a ..., Also, sometimes on random applications and things, task manager always included, the buttons disappear, for the task manager, the processes list/applications, and file, view, and all those buttons disappear, and the window gets widened past my screen limits, and I can't drag it back to the normal window size. I'll have many screenshots on this soon.

Additional information: I use a hp pavilion a245c, I have not downloaded anything recently except the Antivirus, AntiVir Guard, found on the topic Freeware Replacements for Common Commercial Apps.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/6590/virus1qg2.png
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/5797/virus2fs0.png
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1307/virus3qf2.png
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/6340/virus4me6.png
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/640/virus5ng7.png
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1206/virus6mu8.png

Edited by NormanXuminZhu, 04 December 2006 - 11:14 AM.

Word: NormanXuminZhu
Part of speech: Noun
Definition: Magnet for computer problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:29 PM

Hello NormanXuminZhu, Welcome
This is a weird problem. I'm not really to sure what to say here and someone else may have a better idea. Since no one has replied I'm offering these suggestions.
Have you tried running your AV and spyware tools in safe mode
First thing I notice is your CPU usage is very high. If you can get the tabs and post what proceeses are running that may help.
Second try to double click on the greyish colored border between the edge and the white box,see if that brings the tabs back.
Third you may want to do a Repair install assome files may be corrupt.Instructions for that are here
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...ips/doug92.mspx
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 NormanXuminZhu

NormanXuminZhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:57 AM

Thank you for your suggestions, I'll try scanning in safe mode and if you want the processes, they sometimes come up if I reboot computer and immediately bring up task manager.

Edit: Alrighty, here it is, my processes.

Posted Image

there was another one that's not on there, ltmsg.exe, or at least i think that's what it's called

Edited by NormanXuminZhu, 05 December 2006 - 07:42 PM.

#4 NormanXuminZhu

NormanXuminZhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:55 AM

Dunno if this is against the rules, but if it is, then mods can remove this....

*bump* =D

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:08 AM

NormanXuminhu,welcome to BC. Did you ever try to scan your computer with virus-/spyware scanners? Can you do an online scan with :

Ewido and
Pandasoftware post the results

What about your videocard drivers are they upto date?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:28 AM

This one shows normal CPU usage. Have you run the scans and do you still have the weird text?
nvsvc32.exe in an nvidia driver ..that should be OK

Edited by boopme, 06 December 2006 - 08:31 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 NormanXuminZhu

NormanXuminZhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:41 PM

I will run the scans and see if the weird text distortions and window distortions are still there with those programs, thank you.

Edit 1:Yes, my video card drivers are up to date... well maybe not, because I haven't updated in a month or so, but that's not the problem, these happened just recently.

Edit 2:I'm scanning with the AVG Ewido freeware software, but the panda stuffz, u have to buy, unless I use the free trial... in which case.... be right back while I do that.

Edited by NormanXuminZhu, 06 December 2006 - 05:45 PM.

#8 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:35 PM

I will run the scans and see if the weird text distortions and window distortions are still there with those programs, thank you.

Edit 1:Yes, my video card drivers are up to date... well maybe not, because I haven't updated in a month or so, but that's not the problem, these happened just recently.

Edit 2:I'm scanning with the AVG Ewido freeware software, but the panda stuffz, u have to buy, unless I use the free trial... in which case.... be right back while I do that.

You have to go to the online scan

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:57 PM

You can also try Trend Micro’s HouseCall Free online scan simple to use

#10 NormanXuminZhu

NormanXuminZhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:41 PM

I have found viruses using each of those scanners thank you very much, but none of them seem to fix my problem. I will continue to use the scanners given, and the ones that I haven't tried so far. Thank you guys for your replies and helpful advice, there are other glitches you fixed though, thanks!

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:28 PM

Hi Norman after you've finished those scans you should post an Hijack log.Let's be sure your machine is totally clean. Follow the instructions here. Have one of BC's experts get a good look at your system. Once you make the post DO NOT add or remove any thing from your Pc until the member tells you to. It will keep things smooth.
Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log
Post that log here
BleepingComputer.com > Security > HijackThis Logs and Analysis
By clicking new topic. Add the first paragraph from your first post,as an explanation.

#12 NormanXuminZhu

NormanXuminZhu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 12:51 AM

This isn't really relevant, but the Ad-Aware SE's full system scan seems to get stuck around 130,000. The last time I tried to scan, it got stuck at 129,774, and was scanning C:\System Volume Information\_restore{72CDAD93-F681-4238-BB19-964F2B

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:50 AM

Have you tried doing a scan in "Safe Mode"?

If your still having problems even in Safe Mode, you might want to review these pinned topics at Lavasoft Support Forums > FAQ's > Ad-Aware SE:
Ad-Aware becomes unresponsive during a file system scan
Why does Ad-Aware freeze during a scan?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users