Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copy Xp?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:10 PM

hi all, i would like to make a back up copy of my windows XP installation, the only thing is the seller who sold me this comp never gave me a an installation CD as XP was already on it? is there any way i can do this, i found out i can make a back up copy only once and only for my use and thats how i intend to use it (within laws and eula of microsoft)
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:35 PM

You cannot make a copy of a Windows XP Installation cd if you do not have a disk from which to copy.

Some computer manufacturers provide software which can be used to make a Recovery Disk, but that is not the same thing.

Was this compter a name brand like HP, Compaq, Dell, etc?
Or was it a custom made computer?

Did it come with a "Recovery" disk or does it have a Recovery Partition on your hard drive?

The best thing to do is give us the make and model of the computer and we will help you research the next step.

#3 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:38 PM

i did not recieve a CD when i bought this computer on ebay, i have tried contacting the seller numerous times as it even says its not a genuine copy of xp thats running on it! i thought i could possibly make a copy incase something happens becuase i dont have a CD like i said and even a copy of XP that isnt genuine is better than having no OS. i dont have a recovery disc, and i dont know about partition.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:29 AM

As an alternative, you could use one of the many software programs available to create a disc image of your system. That can be used to restore your system in the event you need a re-install of windows. My Windows is genuine, but it has only Sp1 on it. So reinstalling means lots of updates to get over and over again. I'm no good at slipstreaming XP with all the updates so this is the next best thing.

I have two disk images of my system. The first one is the basic installation with all my updates through October of this year, my antivirus and firewall, and not much more. (I just had to reinstall recently.)

My second copy has most of the programs and applications that I use all the time included. My system size is still small enough to put on one DVD. As long as my system remains stable, I can make more images if I want to further decrease the "go back" time.

I also do regular backups of My Docs, important data I want to keep, and my email accounts on CD/DVD's. These are easy to restore after a reinstall of a disc image. So, instead of taking 3 days to get back where I was before in the event of a system failure, it will only take me a couple of hours.

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:14 AM

I suggest you buy a legit WinXP CD with SP2. Backup any necessary files and do a fresh install with the legit CD. Use EVEREST Free Edition 2.20 to identify your hardware and obtain needed drivers first. Burn all of your drivers to a CD to install after XP.

Running an illegal version that cannot be updated leaves you open to malware.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:47 AM

You can update non-genuine copies of Windows XP - but you can't use the automatic updates feature and so you have to do it manually.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:09 AM

Out of curiosity, when Vista comes out in January, is it possible to update a non-genuine copy of XP to the new OS?

3939.png

#8 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:19 AM

You can update non-genuine copies of Windows XP - but you can't use the automatic updates feature and so you have to do it manually.

You cannot get all of the updates with a non-genuine copy of XP.

Out of curiosity, when Vista comes out in January, is it possible to update a non-genuine copy of XP to the new OS?

That would be illegal and therefore against forum rules to discuss.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 06 December 2006 - 08:20 AM.

Get Your Donor Card

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:00 AM

But I understand that you can get all the critical security updates manually.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:21 AM

You cannot get all of the updates with a non-genuine copy of XP.

That would be illegal and therefore against forum rules to discuss.

That's not quite true. As a Microsoft reseller this is what Microsoft has told us to do to handle anyone with illegal copies of Windows. We are legally allowed to sell you OEM versions or retail FULL versions of Windows software to get you legal. We can't sell you upgrade versions. That's for matching versions. So we can sell you Win 2000 to get you to a legal copy of Win 2000 or Xp to cover a illegal copy of Xp.

To get to Vista you will have to purchase the full retail version because you will be changing the version of Windows. (At least until the bogus copies of vista appear. Then we will be probably allowed to sell OEM for that as well.)
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

#11 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:27 AM

But I understand that you can get all the critical security updates manually.

Several of the updates require WGA to be running on your system and they perform a WGA test before they download.
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:34 PM

According to this Microsoft site, non-genuine users will not be denied access to critical security updates. Although IE7, WMP11 and Windows Defender will not install.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 sbrown.uk

sbrown.uk

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:39 PM

You can make your own XP CD from the files already on your PC
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,122487-page,1/article.html

#14 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:30 PM

It seems like Microsoft is really locking down their new OS. Thankfully, I have no probs :thumbsup: my PC is ready to go with Vista Jan 30.

3939.png

#15 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:02 AM

According to this Microsoft site, non-genuine users will not be denied access to critical security updates. Although IE7, WMP11 and Windows Defender will not install.

Unless you happen to have one of the well known VLK versions that were "passed" around and whose keys Microsoft has black listed. These school/corporate versions cannot be updated at all.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 07 December 2006 - 09:02 AM.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users