Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fried Cpu?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 05:14 PM

My cousins had a pc problem. They said one day it was on and made a sound like poooooot or pooof anyways and it cut off.

I plugged it in and not a single beep. I kept looking and then I saw the cpu cooler. Its fan had snapped most of the way off its base and the blade had caught around the cooler. Its one of those fans surrounded by a cooler.

Well it seems to me that poof sound they heard was the cpu as it overheated.

Who knows how long it may have been like this. The cpu is not black but the fan was no good.

If I buy a new cpu just like the one they had in it do you think the pc would work?

I would like to give it to someone who needs one for internet uses and a pentium 3 would be just fine for them and its okay for some games too as my cousins played lots of smaller games on it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 06:14 PM

I think the same model processor would work. I think you just need a new heatsink. Once a heatsink stops working, seconds afterwards the processor is going to burn.
I'd recommend a NON-circular heatsink.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:12 PM

Yes this was a older pc. I want to give it to a needy widow just for internet and email so it would work great for that.

I can get the chip used on ebay for like 10-15 bucks!

So it wont be bad. I might put in a slower pentium 2 if its the same socket or put together the pc with pentium 2 on it with the pentium 3 pc's parts. Whatever it takes to get it working.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:10 AM

Check the PSU first - could be that also. They make lot's of funny noises when stressed (which a bound up fan could cause). PSU testers are about $10 online.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users