Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desperate Please Read...ram Fire Today! Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:59 PM

I took my ram out for a cleaning today. I blew it off and put it back in. Turned it on and poof there was smoke. Took me about 4 secs to get to the power supply and cut it off.

The ram is not burnt at all. There is 2 little dots where the ram chip was that is black. I put the ram in the other slot that wasnt burned and now all my pc does is beep.

I figure I need more ram as I put it in upside down by accident.

Do I need a new motherboard too? I hope not we are broke and I do work on it...argh

I plan to go today so its important I know before I go to town what to get.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:23 PM

Problem fixed....
Just saved over 70 bucks

#3 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 06:17 PM

Can I ask how you fixed it? Because I did the exact same thing. Put my RAM in backwards and my computer didn't work. That's when I got a new motherboard.

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:10 PM

Well as soon as I could when I saw the smoke I cut the pc off. I could have did it sooner if I would have reached for the PS before the power switch.

Anyways it only fried a couple of specs where the ram slot is.

I have 4. 2 for the pc3200 and 2 for pc2700.

I cut the pc off for a while and then put the ram in the other pc3200 slot and it just cut back on.

Sometimes I guess it can ruin your board and I am so glad it did not do it to mine. Hope this helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users