Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Display Settings Have Changed!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 grrlefx

grrlefx

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:26 AM

System: XP Home
SP 2 Dell Dimension 2300
80GB 256Ram
AVG Free 7.5 AVG Free Anti-Spyware 7.5

Two days ago I reformatted my computer. All went well with no problems, so it seemed. After rebooting a couple of times, I noticed that my icons on the taskbar and in the notification bar are not as they were before reformatting. They are now larger, not huge, but definitely larger and annoying to me. Yes, small icons are checked. My screen resolution before reformatting was 1024x768 True Color. It is now 800x600 and nothing I have tried, and I've tried all the suggestions in the various posts on this site, and it will not change back to my original 1024x768.

I've been at the Dell site and have the necessary drivers, which obviously are installed. My display adapter is the Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller. I only know that there is the Legacy Video Capture Devices, it's a plug and play monitor, and it's a Microsoft System Management BIOS Driver.

How do I get my resolution back to the way it was before reformatting? Webpages are not looking normal either, very large indeed, and yes I have text size set at smallest even, hoping that would help with the text but nothing is helping.

I don't think a system restore back to Friday would do much good, as right after rebooting after the final phase of reformatting, the icons and webpages were messed up. Would it be okay to attempt downloading the Dell video driver again, and if so, do I go into Device Manager and highlight it, then choose delete driver, and then download it that way?

I would greatly appreciate any and all help and suggestions as soon as possible!

Thank you so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:36 AM

Hi grrlefx and welcome to Bleeping Computer.
I would recommend you download and place the unzipped files in a folder under C:\. Next go into the Device Manager and delete your video adapter form the profile. Reboot your computer. When the Installation Wizard pops up telling you you have new hardware select to choose your hardware. When your are prompted to select an adapter click Have Disk. Steer to the folder where the drivers are downloaded. Click OK. When it finishes the boot process you should be able to change your settings.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 grrlefx

grrlefx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:59 AM

Hi Acklan,

Thank you for the welcome! I meant to say hello to all at the start of my first post - Sorry! Hi all!

Thank you for your quick reply btw! I am now at the Dell site once again. I will find the necessary video driver again, save it to my C:\ drive and then follow thru with what you have suggested. Hopefully this will solve my computer nightmare. I hope to be back to post the results!

Thank you again!

#4 grrlefx

grrlefx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:28 PM

I did as Acklan suggested. Resolution remains at 800x600, icons are still large, webpages are still messed up and large. When I did the browse to find the necessary video adaptor driver, it would not allow me to use the one I just downloaded from the Dell site. I had to re-use the one that is already in my Dell Drivers folder on C:\ drive.

Please. Anyone have suggestions?

Thank you so much!

Is there a way for me to post a photo of what I am talking about? Would posting a pic or two at Imageshack be allowed?

Thank you!

I'm going to try posting the link to a screen capture, and then of a webpage using the two different browsers to show what I am trying to explain by large messy webpages, etc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by grrlefx, 03 December 2006 - 01:44 PM.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:12 AM

Try Dell's PC Checkup which hopefully may resolve your problem:

http://pccheckup.dellfix.com/rel/?randseed=0.797121894790003

From what you have described and shown us, the problem is the video adapter driver and you may have possibly tried to get one for a different Dell model or one not designed for XP, but try the above first.

If that doesn't work, go back to Dell support and make sure you have inputted the correct info to obtain the proper driver.
(do you know if you upgraded the graphics card when you bought the computer which if so may require a different graphics adapter or card driver?)

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:09 AM

I kinda like the big icons (but I'm visually impaired)!

Go into Device Manager and check to see what drivers are installed for your video card. Are they Microsoft or Dell? If Microsoft, then the drivers are most likely not the correct one's for your video card.

I've never tried this on a Dell, but here's a link to the video drivers for the IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...x?ProductID=865
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:59 AM

If it will not allow you to change the screen res then this is def a Device driver issue. Make sure that you get the most upto date drivers from the graphic card manufacturers website.

As stated above try this driver.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...al&lang=eng

Restart the system and change the display res.
Posted Image

#8 grrlefx

grrlefx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:13 AM

Thank you so much Enthusiast, projectfocus, usasma!

I tried the Dell PC Fix first. I went through their procedure, and did the resolution fix they suggested. It worked! Icons on taskbar and notification area are back to normal size, screen resolution is now at the normal 1024x768 setting. I rebooted after the fix and so far the setting has remained the same. Now I'm trying to set H-Size/V-Size/V-Center/H-Center for my screen as with the two browsers I use, web pages are not quite the way they should be.

Thank you so much for your quick replies and great links! I appreciate this so much!

Kim

Quick question usasma. Where do I find out which video driver I have? When I go to Device Manager, it simply lists the Intel® controller name. It doesn't tell me whether it is a Dell or Microsoft.

Thank you again!

Kim

#9 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:19 AM

Does the auto configure button not work properly then as this should make sure the TFT screen is functioning at its fullest possible.

This will also adjust to the best brightness levels.

and for the video drivers if you goto Device Manager and select the display adaptors sub menu. The model you have should be there.
Posted Image

#10 grrlefx

grrlefx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:34 AM

Hi projectfocus,

On the back of my monitor there is a tag E772c as the model number(?). It's just the monitor that came with the Dell dimension 2300, and yes, there are setting buttons on the front of the monitor. There is not one that will auto configure, or at least I haven't seen it while tapping each setting. I don't have the manual for this computer either, as it was a rent to own computer purchase. Under Device Manager it simply lists the Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller. That is all that is there.

Thank you!

Kim

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:26 PM

The clue was that it was an Intel graphics controller (quite often the problem isn't this easy because you're faced with "Unknown Device") - so I just searched for that model on the Intel website - then asked (searched) about drivers for it and, viola!, it showed up.

So, it's not a Dell or a Microsoft driver (the Dell one's should say Dell (but might say Intel), the Microsoft one's are the default (which is probably what your's was displaying).

To find out, right click on the device and select "Properties", then click on the "Driver" tab. It should say right there who wrote the driver (the Driver Provider).

Edited by usasma, 04 December 2006 - 12:30 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 grrlefx

grrlefx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:52 PM

Hi usasma,

I did as you suggested. It shows Intel Corporation as the Driver Provider. In device manager it shows 6.14.10.3762 as the driver version. Do I try a search on the Intel site as you mentioned and see what comes up for drivers for my Dell Dimension 2300, see if there are any newer needed drivers, etc?

Thank you for your quick reply!

Kim

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:08 AM

You should be able to download the user's manual for your model on a pdf from Dell support, although I doubt if it will be as detailed as to describe how to determine what company wrote a driver, but then that isn't the kind of information needed very often.

It will tell you many things you should know though, so it's worthwhile to find it and save it on your computer for future reference.

Here's a link to the Owners Manual:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...00/3t560bk1.pdf

And here's a link to help you find anything else you need from Dell including a tutorial to show you how to use the "Tell Me How" instructions and help files that Dell has already installed on your computer (or a way to download and install them if they aren't on the hard drive).
Dell™ Dimension™ 2300
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2300/

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 December 2006 - 12:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users