Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Internet Explorer and Outlook Express won't run!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 olajubu

olajubu

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 27 December 2004 - 05:49 AM

Hi All

I'm having a curious problem with Windows XP SP2.
I recently upgraded from Windows XP SP1, after clearing my system of various Malware and viruses. Now when I try to run Internet Explorer, get the following: error message:
Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The error signature is as follows details looks as follows:
AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0014906f

Trying to run Outlook Express to get my email results in similar behaviour.

I have tried the following procedures:
- Run the system file checker (running sfc /scannow)
- Tried re-installing Internet Explorer 6 SP1 by doing the following:
- Creating a slipstreamed Windows XP SP2 system disk
- reinstalling by right clocking on ie6.ini

I have checked that I am not infected by spyware. Here's my HijackThis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 10:46:14, on 27/12/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alcatel\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe
D:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
D:\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by BTopenworld
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics] "C:\Program Files\Alcatel\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [IExplorer Java Scripting] IExplore32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [IExplorer Java Scripting] IExplore32.exe
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON CardMonitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON CardMonitor\EPSON CardMonitor1.0.exe
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check 2.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\E_SRCV02.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: NetShow PowerPoint Helper.lnk = C:\Program Files\NetShow Services\Tools\nsppthlp.exe
O4 - Global Startup: PlexTools Professional.lnk = C:\Program Files\Plextor\PlexTool.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Mountit.lnk = G:\Program Files\WinOnCD 6 DVD\MountIt.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O13 - WWW. Prefix: http://
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co...b?1101597004280
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{9F149D1E-3B60-4C27-A9C1-10179B1157A6}: NameServer = 194.72.9.38 194.74.65.68

I'm tearing my hair out as I have run out of options. Has anyone outthere got any ideas (Apart from wiping my harddisk!!!!!)?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 27 December 2004 - 06:05 AM

Good day olajubu and :flowers: to BleepingComputer!

Let me direct you to the "Elder Geeks" web site to first overview and item there
to see if that helps you out. If it doesn't help you solve your problem, post back here.

It's still a bit early and the "pro's" are ?still sleeping...

The Elder Geek on Windows XP

regards,
~Koan

:thumbsup:
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 olajubu

olajubu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2004 - 06:56 AM

Thanks fore the reply Koan

I have tried reinstalling Internet Explorer and Outlook Express as described, but the setup program jkeeps saying that it has detected a newer version of Explorer already installed, and exits.

This is why I originally trreied to reinstall from an XP SP2 slipstreamed installation disk.
Any other ideas?

Thanks.

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 27 December 2004 - 07:06 AM

You'll need to hold on for one of the Mods, etc.

I'm thinking you've a corrupted registry entry. Someone else will have to help with that.

And I'm not HJT log qual'd - so they'll need to overview that too.

Hang on there friend - they'll get to you a quickly as they can.... They all volunteers you know.

Koan
:thumbsup:
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 olajubu

olajubu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 04:58 AM

Has anybody got any ideas how to solve this? I've been trying for the last week.
Please help!!!!!!!

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 08:08 AM

That is a really hard error to diagnose. Have you tried a repair of IE? Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information>Tools>Internet Explorer Repair Tool. You can also try to do a repair IF IE is listed in Add/remove Programs by highlighting it and clicking remove. This will give you the option to roll it back.

This can also be caused by a bad install of a Critical Update for IE. You can also find those in Add/Remove Programs. Try uninstalling them one at a time.

Look in Tools>Internet Options>General tab>Settings>View Objects. This is a list of installed plugins. If any show as corrupted then right click them and remove. When you run across a site that needs anything you remove you will be prompted to reinstall it.

Another issue can be a bad or corrupted Flash installation. Go here and download the uninstall program and run it. Then go back to macromedia.com and reinstall it.

I wish I could guarantee that some of this will work but its really a crapshoot. The only sure way to be rid of that error is to use another browser!

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 ColdinCbus

ColdinCbus

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2004 - 10:50 AM

IExplore32.exe worries me. Have you updated your AVG defintions and scaned your computer?

You may want to also try an Online Scan http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

#8 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 29 December 2004 - 06:10 PM

Have you tried a different browser? Opera and Mozilla are both free alternatives.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users