Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely Slow Internet Speed

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:49 AM

I'm running a Pentium111 256RAM 20gig 98SE OS (a dinasaur I know) machine with both IE6 and Mozilla as my browsers. I have Trend PCcillin security suite running and regularly run Spybot S&D, Adaware SE, and Registry Mechanic. I also frequently run online scans as another layer of protection. Everything comes up as clean on my scans.
Recently, my refresh rate on my browsers has dropped to ridiculously slow speeds (averaging 15-20 secs or more per page). I had my cable company walk me through a diagnostic check of connection speed and packet loss for my connection. My cable is averaging 750 kbs/sec with little to no packet loss. These are very respectable #s.
This leads me to conclude that my problem lies within my machine, with either the hardware or some software. I thought it might be the PCcillin, but even when I disable it I continue to have the same SLOWW refresh rate.
Anyone out there know how to address this? Trying to surf the web has become a painful experience for me. HELP!!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:11 PM

There are two things i would recommend. First would be to run Disk Cleanup. You will find that in System Tools. This will remove old coolies, internet temp files and your internet history. Second set your internet History to 0 or 1 day, instead of the default 20 days. You will find that under Internet Options in IE. This will force IE to retrieve a new page each time instead of trying to access a cache page in you temp files.
One more thing is I would clear your Rcache. Go to Start> Run> cmd> ipconfig /flushdns
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:42 PM

I would recommend that you perform the tweak test at dslreports.com. They can test to see if your machine is properly setup for broadband use. Most likely your MTU may be needing adjustment.

One other thing to consider is that maybe it's time for an upgrade. You can get for only a couple hundred bucks a very basic system that would be considered slow by today's standards yet run rings around that old dog you are running.
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

#4 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 06:29 PM

Hey Acklan,
I always run Disk Cleanup and my IE and Mozilla settings are set to 0 days already.
However, when I try to access my DOS prompt from the start>run buttons, It pops up for a fraction of a second and then disappears almost immediately. The result is that I can't access the DOS command screen. Any suggestions?

#5 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 06:32 PM

Thanks nlinecomputers,
Went to dslreports and followed their tweaks (without much difference :-(( ).
And yes I will be biting the bullet and purchasing a Vista ready machine within the next few months.

#6 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:00 PM

What about performance in other areas. Is it only the internet that is slow? Could you be having a bad swap file or hard drive problems?

#7 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:52 PM

Doesn't seem particularly slow in other ares, however system is very unstable. I constantly have to restart.
How would I do HD or swap file diagnostics?

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:06 AM

Can you access the DOS prompt by go to Start> All Programs> Accessories> Command Prompt?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:44 AM

Doesn't seem particularly slow in other ares, however system is very unstable. I constantly have to restart.
How would I do HD or swap file diagnostics?

The only thing you can do for the swap file is delete it. As for HD diagnostics you can download from your HD manufacturer's website diagnostic tools to test the drive. In Windows 98 running scandisk with a surface scan may help show you problems. One other question: How much free space is left on that drive?

#10 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:58 AM

Hi Acklan,
I'm using Win 98SE OS, which does not have a command prompt from Accessories.

#11 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:00 PM

nlinecomputers,
Ran Scandisk... no problems. Have 8.66 GB free on drive.

#12 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:10 PM

Can you describe more about the instability? Does this happen on certain programs? After the system is running for a while?

Are you positive that it is clean? You may need to see this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

I'm not authorized to view HJT logs on this forum so we'd have to hand you off to an expert.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users