Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Install Xp Home Sp2

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerGeek69

ComputerGeek69

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:08 AM

i try to install SP2 and i get stuck at about 1/4 of the way at the first load screen not the extract screen i closed all my apps in my tray ive restarted my computer i downloaded it at microsoft.com what is wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:43 AM

There are a few things which will prevent SP2 from installing properly or working properly after installed.

Malware is the main reason.

Windows XP Install Setup stops responding with 34 minutes remaining
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828267

If you are having a problem with any Windows Update, including SP2, you are entitled to free support from Microsoft.

You can reach them by phone but the experience of users whom I recommended to call them at their tool free number seems to have all had the experience of getting level 1 techs assigned to them who were not adept at repairing the problem, so I suggest you click "Get Help and Support" in the left side of the Windows Updates Page which I can tell you from personal experience using it that you get techs with superior knowledge helping you using email, and their response is timely and accurate.

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).

There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

PREFERRED METHOD
You can also access Microsoft Support from the Windows Update or Microsoft Update web page - just click on "Get help and support" on the left side of the page.

#3 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:53 AM

How long did you wait? I went and watched Smackdown! while SP2 was installing (That's 2 hours)

Edited by DemonSui, 03 December 2006 - 02:53 AM.

Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:11 AM

I recommend you get Microsoft Support:

Access Microsoft Support from the Windows Update or Microsoft Update web page -

click on "Get help and support" on the left side of the page.

#5 ComputerGeek69

ComputerGeek69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:33 PM

i think it is because my xp cd is really old and i havent downloaded or installed SP1 first buy thx for ur guys help

#6 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 05:22 PM

SP1 is on all XP CDs as far as I know
Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 10:22 PM

No - SP1 was not on the original release of XP. That's why it was released in a service pac.

SP2 is a huge download, and if you do not have a very fast broadband connection it can take several hours to download, and then even more time to install. You do not need to download SP1 and then SP2 - just let Windows scan and download and install automatically.

Unless the computer freezes, just let it keep running. You may have had to set your computer to automatically download and install updates for Microsoft to even begin sending the updates because the WGA program initiated in SP2 requires validation if updates are not set on automatic download and install, and of course not having SP2 your computer could not accomplish WGA validation.

So, if you haven't successfully completed the SP2 and subsequent updates I recommend the following:

First and best - get the free assistance from Microsoft that you are entitled to. They can provide an activation key that will bypass WGA problems.
Go to the Windows Update page and click the "get help and support" button on the left side of the page.

If you just do not want to do that, set the computer to full automatic download and install and connect to Windows Updates. As long as it doesn't freeze - it is working as long as you set it to automatic.

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 December 2006 - 10:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users