Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Half Life Anthology - Will Not Install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 applesauce1234

applesauce1234

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:52 PM

hey everyone

so i just bought half life anthology today, and i cant install it... it doesnt seem to make any sense...

first off, i try to install steam... i get to the screen where it asks which folder i would like to install steam into... i click next, and then a small message window pops up that has a button that says "OK"...

if i click it, nothing happens except that that message window disappears... but i am still at that same installation screen where it asks me which folder i want as the destination folder for steam... it doesnt matter how many times i click ok, nothing happens...

i downloaded steam online, and it installed perfectly... then i tried to install half life and the same problem happens... when i am at the screen in half life installation where it asks which features i want to include in the installation, i click next, and that same message window pops up...

what is going on here?!?

colin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:09 AM

just reinstall it maybe one of your files got corrupted at some point i dont really know if this is a viable solution but it sounded good when i said it :/
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#3 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:59 AM

as long as you have your registration keys and your account name/ password you have all your games, so uninstall and reinstall steam and then try installing anthology
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#4 applesauce1234

applesauce1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:22 PM

hey... thanks for the tips...

unfortunately, it doesnt make a difference if i try to install it again...

the problem is that i cant even install steam off of the CD (but i can if i download it online), so i dont think that the problem is a corrupted installation file.

i tried to install steam and halflife on my friend's laptop which is less powerful than my comp, and it worked with no problems... so theres nothing wrong with the CD... it seems to be a problem with my comp.

i ran several antivirus programs (panda, ad aware, spybot, etc), and my computer is clean... i restarted it, and the same problem comes up.

any ideas?

#5 Fremder

Fremder

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:05 PM

Well your suppose to get steam off of the website http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php? I believe thats what I did when I got Half-Life 2. Then you install the game, if the game won't install, open Steam then click Activate a product on Steam then you type in the CD activation code. Steam will then verify that the code is correct then all the games that come with
Half-Life 2 Anthology will be put on your account then you can just download the games from the servers.

Edited by Fremder, 04 December 2006 - 07:07 PM.

You will not like me if I'm angry.

#6 applesauce1234

applesauce1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:32 PM

actually, there was simply some problem with my firewall... i use sunbelt firewall, and i guess it wasnt allowing me to install the program... i disabled it and it installed no problem...

its weird though, cause it didnt even give me a message window saying it was going to prevent its installation

oh well... hope it helps someone else in the same situation

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:41 PM

Thanks for taking the time to report what the solution to your problem was, since as you indicate, it might help another person with the same or a similar problem.
BC continues to grow as members add to the general stock of knowledge.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users