Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Download

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Verons88

Verons88

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 08:21 PM

Normally my Firefox will ask me if I want to open or save a zip. file when I clicked download.
Now that options seems to be missing (the pop up window).
I have recently clicked 'perform same action to this kind of files from now on' from the pop up option, and I no longer see the pop up now.
I wish to have that prompt again, so I can choose to save or open a zip file.
I have browse the help section in firefox, but couldn't find the help to have it enabled again.

Pls help.... :thumbsup:

Thanks!
Veronica Yeoh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:41 PM

Try this:

Click on Tools then Options. Click on Downloads on the window that pops up. You'll see it near the top, 2nd choice from the right.

Under Download Folder, see if there is a little green dot in the little radio button by Ask me where to save every file. If there isn't, click on the little radio button.

Under Download Manager, see if there is a check in the little box by Show download manager when a download begins. Click on the little box if there isn't.

If that doesn't work, then try this:

Go to Downloads as you did before. This time, click on View and Edit Actions near the bottom left of that window. Another little window will open up, and you will see a list of file types on the left and the programs assigned to open them on the right. Depending on the file type, when you click on it, a Remove button will become active. In all cases, a Change button will become active. If you use the Remove button, Firefox will again ask you what to do with that file type the next time it comes up in your browsing. If you use the Change button, you can change the program Firefox will use to open it. You won't get the window asking you what to do with the file.

Hope this helps,

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:05 AM

Thank u, Orange Blossom.
Sorry I cant find the View and Edit Actions button. Where can I access this option?
Thanks again,...
Veronica Yeoh

#4 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:12 AM

Sorry to bump into this again. This is what I saw from my 'OPTION' pop up from tools of Firefox.
Posted Image
Is this the place I can do the resettings?
Veronica Yeoh

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:37 AM

In the Downloads section of the window you have showing, tick Always ask me where to save files, which will un-tick Save files to.
That should take care of your problem.

Orange Blossom is probably using a pre-2.0 version of Firefox, is why the direction were different.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:54 AM

Thank u tg1911.

I have just did as u told, and I got a save file to prompt when I clicked a download.
But I still hope to get the prompt window "Do you want to save / open this file" pop up window which is no longer showing after I have ticked "apply this action to all same type of file from now on"
It looks like I have choosen an action similar to "Do not ask me this question again"
I regreted that, and now I hope I will be asked again what I want to do with a zip file when I hit download button...

Sorry I forgot to let u know my version of Firefox 2.0, Orange Blossom.
Veronica Yeoh

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:58 AM

Absolutely right tg1911. :flowers: I haven't gotten around to updating to version 2 yet. Another example of why it's important to include version number with the program.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:46 PM

I have something you can try, but it might be a little too drastic for you.
It won't hurt anything, but it will cause all of your downloading options, to be reset to the Default values.
You'll just have to redo some of your preferences.
Here it is if you want to try it:

Double click the blank space, in the Tab Bar, or right click and select New Tab.
This will open a new, blank Tab.
In the Address Bar, type; about:config
Click Enter.
Scroll down to to the area that begins with; browser.download.
You'll notice some of the entries are highlighted in Bold.
On each one of the Bold entries, that begin with browser.download., right click it, and select Reset.
There will probably be several of them.
Just do each one that is Bold.
When your finished with each one, exit about:config, by closing the tab.
Restart Firefox, and see if that fixed the problem.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:24 PM

Thanks tg1911, have done the resettings, guess it works. :thumbsup:
Veronica Yeoh

#10 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 01:21 PM

I ran across some information about clicking "Do this from now on" in downloads. Briefly, somebody said it was a bug in FF, and doing it can cause all the View and Edit Actions to disappear, and disable any options to add more.

So, after struggling for weeks to figure out how to get my download actions back, I just did a clean reinstall of FF and all my plugins, etc. I never click "do this from now on" for any download. So far my View and Edit Actions have not disappeared again.

Edited by mommabear, 14 December 2006 - 01:25 PM.

#11 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:03 PM

mommabear, you are right. Most of the options disappeared.
I've did some settings at about:config as adviced by tg1911. Though there's a pop up window shows, but it's not the original prompt window I got like 'save or open file' window. It's a prompt window asking me where I want to save my file to. But at least I got a prompt, rather then it don't show anything at all and I got no idea if my files are downloaded or opened.

I have thought of reinstalling my FF, but afraid that all my bookmarks will be gone.

Many thanks for your reply mommabear, cos i've been wondering why I can't get my options back. Like u say, it's a bug. And guess the only best way to fix it is to reinstall FF. :thumbsup:
Veronica Yeoh

#12 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:18 PM

Hi Verons88.

I'm pretty sure that your FF Bookmarks are stored separately to the actual programme, so you should be OK to uninstall and reinstall without losing any.

Cheers.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#13 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:42 PM

I agree with rowal5555,but a really good safeguard to consider is FEBE, Firefox Extension Bookmark Backup.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#14 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 02:02 AM

My suggestion would be Mozbackup Klick which is a nifty little programm to backup and restore all your setting including add-ons. It is user friendly and did the trick for me. It is also compatibvle with Thunderbird

#15 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:03 PM

MozBackup is a great little utility fozzie,but the reason I added FEBE to my list of extensions is because MozBackup specifies that it does not guarantee that all extensions/themes will be able to be backed up.
Why take the chance?

Edited by TMacK, 16 December 2006 - 12:45 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users