Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Motherboard Compatible With This Processor And Is There Anything I Should Know

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Taima

Taima

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:37 PM

I just got about $165 to burn today and I was looking for a new processor for my computer on account that games run like crap on this computer (I have to play battlefield 2 on 800x600 @ 60hz with all settings on low[i've been told that i should be able to run everything on at least medium with my graphics card {bfg geforce 6200 256mb OC how good is that video card anyway?}] and i can't play America's Army anymore because they raised the minimum requirements to 2.4ghz :thumbsup: )

So anyway, I found this processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819116213 and i've been thinking about buying it for my mobo this way everything can run better. People who've reviewed it said that it's got a heat issue too....

Well I was wondering if my motherboard would be compatible with it.
According to my system properties i have a:

mobile AMD Athlon XP-M 2800+ 2.13GHz, 512mb of RAM

help would be appreciated
(if you have any suggestions of what i should do with that money instead, feel free to say something)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:08 AM

You should add another 512MB of RAM before you do anything else.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Taima

Taima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 08:10 AM

Why is that

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 08:37 AM

You would have to get an intel motherboard. AMD and Intel are not interchangeable. You would probably notice a big difference if you added another 512mb of ram or more.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Taima

Taima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 08:41 AM

That's good to know, FTR, what ram should I pick from this page
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/views...ips%26cat%3Dram

How much of an effect of adding RAM will there be in a game such as battlefield 2?

Edited by Taima, 03 December 2006 - 08:42 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 10:57 AM

Another 512MB of RAM should clear up most of your problems, your computer will run a lot faster.

As for the RAM, this is going to depend on what you are using now, you want to match the RAM, if you are running PC2700 for instance and you install a PC2100 module the BIOS is going to recognize the slower RAM and run at that speed. This is safe, but you will suffer from the loss of speed, which would be counter productive in this case.

If you don't know what you have for RAM download
this freeware, it will tell you what you need to know.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:24 AM

If you download and run Belarc it will give you quite a bit of usefull information about your computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:18 AM

If you download and run Belarc it will give you quite a bit of usefull information about your computer.

Hi acklan, have you tried SIW - System Information for Windows? It is more extensive than belarc, and faster.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:13 AM

I just downloaded it. I'll let you know what I think about it in a while. Thanks for the tip.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#10 Taima

Taima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:44 PM

Thx for the help fellas

#11 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:56 PM

You have to have an Intel motherboard instead of AMD motherboard.
Also, motherboards have to have the same socket type as the processor (intel=478, 608, 771, and 775)
(AMD-A ((which is 478)), 754, 939, AM2, some new one called T and a really non-popular one called 940)
Since you have a Mobile Athlon 2800, you most likely have socket A.
Which means, get more ram for now. Once you get more money GET A NEW MOTHERBOARD!!
ATLEAST socket 939 if you want AMD. And for Intel, atleast 604.

#12 Taima

Taima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:17 PM

lol. I just found out yesterday that I'm now not allowed to get some more RAM . Why? because my parents will let me on the computer but it doesn't mean I have to enjoy it :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users