Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata & Normal Hard Disk

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Verons88

Verons88

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:54 PM

Hi, does anyone know what is the different between SATA HDD and Normal HDD?

I've just bought a new external (portable Hard disk) with a casing. It's a 160GB Seagate (3.5").
When I look back at my catalog, I notice it was labeled as normal Hard Disk.
My pc has a 'SATA' hard disk when I 1st bought it.

The reason I buy the portable hard disk is to save / back up all my files, in case my pc crashed.

Btw, anyone know how I can get the profile / informations for my pc hard drive?
I need to know the model, brand, etc. I've used Belarc Advisor, CPUZ, Syspec, but still can't find the info i need for my hard drive.

Thanks in advance
Veronica Yeoh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:16 PM

Look under hardware/storage devices after downloading the program below and running it. It will give you the info on your harddrive.

http://www.gtopala.com/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:22 PM

i'm not entirely sure what normal means in that context, since SATA would be considered normal. SATA refers to the type of connection the hard drive uses. PATA was the standard for a long time (the long grey ribbons) and now SATA is becoming pretty popular. it's faster and smaller.

that's my understanding, at least.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:42 AM

I found a very good explanation here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:30 PM

Thank you, dogslikeus, buddy215 & dc3. (thanks for the usefull links for the info)
Veronica Yeoh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users