Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Drives Don't Work In Usb Ports

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LoKaRa

LoKaRa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:11 AM

I'm hoping someone can help me.

I have a Dell XPS 400 computer, Operating System is Microsoft Windows XP Professional. I can't get any flash drive devices to work. When I insert one in a USB port, this message appears:

"One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfuntioned and Windows does not recognize it."

I can't get my new Ipod Nano to work either. If I can't find a solution, I'm just going to have to return it.

A co-worker told me it was probably a driver problem, but I don't have any idea what to do next. And my warrenty just expired.

Please help.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 02 December 2006 - 01:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robin_norway

Robin_norway

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:47 AM

Hmm, I'm no expert but I've had similar problems myself, Live support at VIA or Lexar told me it might be your Generic drivers (whatever it/they are).

You should be able to install them from your Windows disc without installing the entire OS but I don't know how. But as a little bit of troubleshooting: do any other USB devices work? You wrote devices as in plural so I guess you have tried different ones, if not try if you have access to other devices. Look in device manager, do you see your USB ports there? are they in conflict with other devices? are they listed with an exclamation mark?

Mostly to throw out some ideas for troubleshooting, good luck.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:01 AM

I had a similar problem with my Dell GX1 and GX1p computers. I never was able to get them to work. I finial broke down and install an aftermarket USB 2.0 card. That did work.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 mangosteen

mangosteen

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:27 AM

same like my problem.
but only this kingston, in the front usb.

my other flash drives, imation and apacer are all okay.

is it because the usb2 problem ?
anyway to solve this ?
Let's stay happy and healthy.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:25 PM

I have found some front USB ports to not be powered. You may be able to over come this with a power USB hub if indeed this is the problem.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users