Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Performance Systems International, Inc.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:18 AM

I was looking thru the out going logs of my Linksys WRT54G router and I found that my father's PC has an out going signal that showed it's destination as 38.118.85.21 I did a whois search on it from my Intego NetBarrier Firewall app and got this.

Performance Systems International Inc. PSINETA (NET-38-0-0-0-1)
38.0.0.0 - 38.255.255.255
Performance Systems International Inc. COGENT-NB-0002 (NET-38-112-0-0-1)
38.112.0.0 - 38.119.255.255

Who are they, what apps would be transmitting to them? But more importantly, should my father be worried?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:38 AM

Is there anything in the log that indicates what program, task, or file is sending out to them?

Is there a way that you can set the firewall to ask the user before letting applications connect to the internet? If so, set it that way to discover what is doing it.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:51 AM

Orange Blossom,

Thanks for replying.

Is there anything in the log that indicates what program, task, or file is sending out to them?

The only things that are shown on my Linksys logs are LAN IP, Destination URL/IP and Service/Port Number. It was listed as www in the Service/Port Number.

Is there a way that you can set the firewall to ask the user before letting applications connect to the internet? If so, set it that way to discover what is doing it.

From the Linksys? IDK, I don't think so. From my Firewall? No.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,912 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 03:44 PM

Hmm. What firewall are you using?

By any chance, are there peer-to-peer programs on the computer? If so which ones?

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 03:55 PM

Found on the web:

performance systems international... PSI, one of the 'older' ISP's around, based out of N. Virginia ( think they even have/had a stadium named after them - PSI Stadium ).
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,912 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 04:01 PM

Ah, but is that YOUR internet service provider?

Orange Blossom

#7 Buddyme2

Buddyme2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:28 PM

Hmm. What firewall are you using?

I am using Intego's NetBarrier on my PowerBook G4. My father is using Norton? I'm not quite sure, but he has Norton on his PC.

By any chance, are there peer-to-peer programs on the computer?

I don't think so, he doesn't download very much. Mostly updates to his XP Home, AV and Anti-Spy programs.

Ah, but is that YOUR internet service provider?

It's gci.net.
I never looked to see if my PB is contacting the same IP, I'll look but I'm pretty sure it's not because Little Snitch doesn't show that any of my apps are contacting that IP.

Thanks again.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,912 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:34 AM

I'm not familiar with that firewall. It's your father's computer that has the problem right? So we need to know which firewall is on HIS computer.

It's possible that there is something on the computer that shouldn't be there making these connections. It's also possible that something that should be there is making connections it shouldn't be, and there is a slim chance it's legit. That's why I want to know which firewall is on the computer that has the problem so it can be set up to ask the user before anything makes connections. That way we can identify the culprit and determine whether it's good, bad, or indifferent and what to do next if anything.

There are free firewalls that can be configured this way and that will identify the application. Zone Alarm Free and Kerio Personal Firewall Free are both examples. I personally prefer the later as it provides more specific information. You might consider installing one of those, uninstalling the other one first, temporarily at least until the problem is solved.

Orange Blossom

#9 Buddyme2

Buddyme2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:12 PM

Orange Blossom,

Yes, it's my father's PC that is connecting. He had a license for Zone Alarm but probably got frustrated with all the "questions" from it, same thing with Spybot. He uninstalled those along with AVG and installed Norton, which has a firewall but I don't think it asks if a signal going out should be denied or not.

NetBarrier is a Mac application.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:20 AM

I understand that if you are using iTunes it will connect to PSI for automatic updates etc.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 Buddyme2

Buddyme2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:51 AM

I understand that if you are using iTunes it will connect to PSI for automatic updates etc.

He doesn't use iTunes, the only Apple product he has on his PC is Quicktime. Does Quicktime connect to PSI? I would of thought that Mac apps would connect to Apple for updates or whatever.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:50 AM

If I remember correctly Quicktime has advertisements and links that show up when you open it, and it is this third-party content that might come from PSI. I've heard that the programme "Little Snitch" can tell you which application on your system is connecting to PSI, although I've never used it myself.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 Buddyme2

Buddyme2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:58 AM

Little Snitch does tell which application is trying to send a signal out and to where it wants to send it. It's for Macs only and my father's comp is a PC. Could be a program from Quicktime but I have never seen him use Quicktime before, but that doesn't mean he doesn't use it.

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:06 AM

Sorry, I didn't realise that Little Snitch is only for Macs. You might want to check his Quicktime settings. The latest versions have an application that runs at start-up and checks for updates etc. First time I installed it I ended up with a little Q symbol in my task bar, but you can set the options so it doesn't run at start-up.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 Buddyme2

Buddyme2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:50 PM

No problem.
Will do, but I've never seen a letter Q on his taskbar nor do I think he's ever updated Quicktime before. Where can I find the list of his start-up items?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users