Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse And Keyboard Won't Work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Yifan Lu

Yifan Lu

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:56 PM

Ok, my whole computer is working fine, when I decided I should connect a printer that I haven't used in a while (it works, but I don't use it often, so I disconnected it), and suddenly, I hear a beeping sound, and found that my mouse and keyboard stopped working (the num lock is off on keyboard, and the laser is off on my mouse). I tried to restart, but that doesn't work, because I can't even use my keyboard from POST to get to cmos. Then I did some tests and found that all 6 USB ports on the back of my computer stopped working, but the 2 in the front is still working. I connected a USB keyboard on the front and it works, so I tried to change some hardware settings in windows, but it doesn't work ethier. So basicly, all the USB ports and mouse/keyboard ports on the back of my computer stopped working, can someone help!!! (P.S my mouse and keyboard are connected to the PS/2 port) (P.P.S, my USB keyboard that I am using now stinks, and keeps puting these extra spaces when I press the space bar!!!)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Yifan Lu

Yifan Lu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:55 PM

I just found out that my CD-Drives won't work ethier! Can someone please help me!!!

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:54 PM

Can you tell us the frequency of the beeps. This doesn't look too good..

here you can find what beep means what. Please post the result

#4 Yifan Lu

Yifan Lu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:25 PM

When I pluged in the printer, it beeped once quickly. I believe it might be a problem with the power supply, but the reason I am not buying another is that I don't know if it is possible for only a part of the power supply to break (in my case the USB and mouse/keyboard ports power), my computer is working fine. So can part of the power supply to break?

#5 Yifan Lu

Yifan Lu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:05 PM

Can someone please help me?

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 04:27 AM

1 short beep means you might have a problem with your memory. can you this test before we are going to further on? Please take the long test which might take all night

#7 Yifan Lu

Yifan Lu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:32 PM

Nope, no memory problems

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:31 AM

Go into your Device Manager and see if you see any yellow exclamation marks! If so, delete them and power down. Then plug everything back to where you originally had them, then power it up.

If you don't see any exclamation marks in the Device Manager, delete the printer 1st, then reboot. If that doesn't work, delete the keyboard, and finally, the mouse. Then reboot. This time without your printer cable attached to it.

You may have to delete the keyboard and mouse during separate bootups.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users