Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Firewall Using Least Resources?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 The Insane Mao

The Insane Mao

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:59 PM

Hi,

I've been trying to find a good firewall that uses the least amount of resources (RAM and such). I used Zone alarm for a while, but it seems to run another program that uses at least 24 mb of RAM. I usually notice that my total available RAM is less than it should be (like around 200 on with 512mb total). I think I read from somewhere that Comodo is a bit lighter on computer resources and is just as effective as Zone alarm.

Any suggestions?

Mao

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:04 PM

There is a list of six free firewalls in this topic. You'll need to scroll down a ways to find them.

I personally use Kerio Personal Firewall - the paid version because I wanted to have the privacy protection. According to Ultimate TroubleShooter, there are three running tasks related to this firewall and my configuration of it. At the moment they are using: 1.7, 1.7, and 4.5 MB of RAM for a total of 7.9 MB RAM. I have 256 MB of RAM total on my computer.

Why don't you try them out one by each and see how you like them, how it interacts with the other software on your system and how light they are? Sometimes its more a matter of personal preference and how your computer is set up. All 6 are good firewalls.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 scotty38

scotty38

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:08 PM

I have always used ZoneAlarm and never had problems works well for me and all my friends use ZoneAlarm maybe because i told them how good it is lol

Think i will watch this post to see what other people think then i might be brave and try something new

scotty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users